Accurate Miniature Equivalents for Custom Painting your 1940 E&P

• Customizer

@cminke:

how long does your paint take to dry? Avrage

1-2 min.

• Customizer

@allworkandnoclay:

a) I am almost always holding the miniature by the base while painting. Either from sweat or friction, usually some of my primer peels off from the base’s sides. This could be a problem if that’s the first thing you paint.

I’m surprised to hear that you hold the figure. You’ve been doing this for a long time so I feel weird making a suggestion to a pro but what I do is use blue sticky tack and dollar store nails under the base so I can hold the nail without touching the figure. After painting a color I stick them in one of those Styrofoam planter things. Have you tried this method? I find it makes dipping them in the varnish easier as well. I will try to get hold of a camera and take some pics this week, mine’s pooched. If I do would you mind if I put the pics on this thread or would you rather I started my own? This one’s pretty long as it is lol.

• Customizer

@Most:

@allworkandnoclay:

a) I am almost always holding the miniature by the base while painting. Either from sweat or friction, usually some of my primer peels off from the base’s sides. This could be a problem if that’s the first thing you paint.

I’m surprised to hear that you hold the figure. You’ve been doing this for a long time so I feel weird making a suggestion to a pro but what I do is use blue sticky tack and dollar store nails under the base so I can hold the nail without touching the figure. After painting a color I stick them in one of those Styrofoam planter things. Have you tried this method? I find it makes dipping them in the varnish easier as well. I will try to get hold of a camera and take some pics this week, mine’s pooched. If I do would you mind if I put the pics on this thread or would you rather I started my own? This one’s pretty long as it is lol.

I’ve actually tried that method before… I just feel I have more control over the mini by holding it. But sure, you can post some pics about it if you like.

• Customizer

Cool, thanks, you are an inspiration to all of us and your work is the best I’ve seen anywhere. One thing I also wanted to ask, do you paint an entire figure at once or one color at a time? With the paints I use I find, especially with the black and white, they dry up too much when open for too long and I can only get through half a jar before it is too thick from evaporation. I ask because I see you use a palette where I use the model paints and dip right in the jar.

• Customizer

TO EVERYONE

I’m saving up money for my trip to Peru and find myself coming up a bit short. If anyone who like to make an offer for any of my custom pieces, please send me an email at: chad@allworkandnoclay.com

• Customizer

@Most:

Cool, thanks, you are an inspiration to all of us and your work is the best I’ve seen anywhere. One thing I also wanted to ask, do you paint an entire figure at once or one color at a time? With the paints I use I find, especially with the black and white, they dry up too much when open for too long and I can only get through half a jar before it is too thick from evaporation. I ask because I see you use a palette where I use the model paints and dip right in the jar.

I paint one color at a time. Try filling an empty paint container (one with a dropper head) with water and wet your paint every once in a while. Also you can look into ‘wet pallets’.

• Customizer

Hey everyone - it’s been a while since my last update I know, but I’ve actually been filling custom orders for painted miniatures. I have a price list finalized for all my pieces. If anyone is interested, I would love to have as much work as possible before I leave for my trip Jan 3rd. They make great gifts! I can also do custom work - just send me a picture from historical/illustration sites and I’ll work my magic. My rates are very reasonable for the results. No job is too large/small, although I am under the time restriction of the 3rd. Consider your order a donation to the ‘Keep Chad Coffman Fed In Peru’ fund.

I started a Flickr account where you can see my full set pic by pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allworkandnoclay/sets/

Please contact me at chad@allworkandnoclay.com for more info.

Thanks again for the support everyone! I’ll be sure to donate to A&A.org once I get back from my trip (money is crunched right now).

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Could you please post your price list for everyone to see?

• Yes, please post your price list. Would you do work after your trip?

Have a great time.

• Hey AllWork,

Another quick question, would this same price list apply to other brands? i.e. I plan on getting FMG’s Combat Units starting with the Italians. Their sculpt, your paint aps > Amazing!!!

• Hey, just wondering… So 20inf would be $160? (8$ per?)

• Customizer

@Stickman:

Hey AllWork,

Another quick question, would this same price list apply to other brands? i.e. I plan on getting FMG’s Combat Units starting with the Italians. Their sculpt, your paint aps > Amazing!!!

Sure - I can paint whatever you send me… There just might be a very slight change in price depending on the complexity of the mini.

• Customizer

I just now checked out your pics at your site.  They are truly amazing.  I’ve done some model work and thought I had a pretty steady hand for tiny work, but I couldn’t match these.  Especially the roundels on the bases of the infantry.  How on Earth can you do that?!?  I’m really looking forward to seeing your German units.
    A couple of questions:
    Are you going to do other Italian units or just the infantry?
    When the FMG Italian units come out, are you going to get a set and paint them?

• Customizer

@knp7765:

I just now checked out your pics at your site.  They are truly amazing.  I’ve done some model work and thought I had a pretty steady hand for tiny work, but I couldn’t match these.  Especially the roundels on the bases of the infantry.  How on Earth can you do that?!?  I’m really looking forward to seeing your German units.
    A couple of questions:
    Are you going to do other Italian units or just the infantry?
    When the FMG Italian units come out, are you going to get a set and paint them?

Thanks! Yes I’m going to paint the rest of Italy - when I get time. And I plan on getting sets of the FMG units, but I’m not sure whether I’ll do another set. That would be insane.

• Customizer

By the way, I’d also give a 25% discount if you order by the bulk (ie 25 or more).

• Customizer

If you are going to get the FMG Italian units, you should wait to do Italy until you get them since they are actual Italian equipment as opposed to just brown German equipment.  That way you would still just be taking the time for one set of Italians.  The way it is now, if you did the current Italian stuff, it would almost be like doing Germany twice, even though I imagine you will have different color and camo schemes for Italy.

• Customizer

As a special one-time Xmas special, I’m offering $.50 off each miniature until Dec 25th!

• Customizer

I’m listing 5 infantry from each nation on eBay if anyone wants a chance to win them at $6 a piece.

http://shop.ebay.com/pyle1999/m.html

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Has Germany been started yet?

• Customizer

Yeah, I’ve been really anxious to see your Germans too.  All the others look so fantastic, I know I’m just going to love your Germans.  Are you going to wait to start on them after your Peruvian trip?

By the way, love your little picture.  I keep picturing you actually looking like Donald Sutherland.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m