• Is Settlers of Catan worth buying? I know nothing about the game. Any personal reviews would be appreciated.

Wow! I’ve played the game since 2002 and almost suggest it more than AaA! Not to say AaA isn’t amazing, but Settlers is another Epic game you have to own…

GG

• @ABWorsham:

Is Settlers of Catan worth buying? I know nothing about the game. Any personal reviews would be appreciated.

My friend just got and I was playing a few games with him and his brothers, and it is a pretty challenging game.

Bascially your group and three other groups of settlers are on this inland and in order to win you have to build the most settlements/roads/cities/knights. There is no combat in the game but there certianly is treachery and strategy. To win you have quickly to come up with a plan to get 10 victory points then aquire the resources(sheep,brick,wood,wheat and ore) through producing them yourself and trading with other players. I have also seen alot of expansions that add new pieces, tradeable goods and more players(the basic game only has enough pieces for four players).

It certainly dosnt compare to axis & allies(although I think it would be cool if nations in A&A could trade resources with each other), but if you want Euro-trash and to be able to play a game you can finish in two hours then this is a good choice.

Ignore Emperor’s finally comments, he doesn’t know what he is talking about. If you want to be able to play with more people, sometimes “German Games” are just more accessible, and you might as well have a fun format, like Settlers. I like AaA, but most of the time, I can’t even get half of the people I know to barely look at the rulebook, so you have to come out with easier-to-pick-up-games.

Euro trash, never heard of those. I’ve heard of Euro games. Euro trash I think refers to stoners in Amsterdam.

GG

• I’m sold on it. It shall be my next board game purchase.

• FMG sells some nice accesories for Catan.

• @ABWorsham:

I’m sold on it. It shall be my next board game purchase.

Additional “advantage” of Catan is the competition isn’t 100% in your face, so it appeals to a broader range of groups.

And I’ve never met a lady that doesn’t like it, no matter the age.

Possibly those two points are related… either way it’s a handy addition in the arsenal.  8-)

The man has a point…

“Awww, look at all the cute little houses. Which ones do I get?”

'Nuff said…

GG

• and hey who hasn’t had some wood for some sheep?

• @allboxcars:

and hey who hasn’t had some wood for some sheep?

We can make them from that ram’s wood you got.

• @Guerrilla:

The man has a point…

“Awww, look at all the cute little houses. Which ones do I get?”

'Nuff said…

GG

Good point guys.

• I´ve never played the board version, but downloaded Settlers for iPhone. Man, have I been playing that game alot. I can imagine it´s more fun “live”. Perhaps kids can play too? My daughter is 7. Too young?

I have played it online too, and yes it is much better live. Part of the experience is seeing that big of a board in front of you. Plus having real faces to match to opponents is engaging.

7 might be a bit young. There is a settlers of catan board game for younger audiences to get them used to the ideas put forth in catan. I’ve never played it but it’s an idea. I’ve heard it’s good…

GG

• Just played tonight for the first time, it is a fun game. Thanks for the previous advice.

• @allboxcars:

@ABWorsham:

I’m sold on it. It shall be my next board game purchase.

Additional “advantage” of Catan is the competition isn’t 100% in your face, so it appeals to a broader range of groups.

And I’ve never met a lady that doesn’t like it, no matter the age.

Possibly those two points are related… either way it’s a handy addition in the arsenal.  8-)

I just bought this yesterday with the hopes that my wife will play with my 2 sons and I since she won’t look at any WWII games that I have. I have Axis and Allies, Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear, Memoir 44, Tide of Iron and the first 2 ASL Starter Kits. This game looks like it could cause people to get real nasty with the robber and playing the Knight card with the ability to steal a resource card. I can’t wait to play it. It is all set up and ready to go and now just waiting for my 2nd son to get home from school so we can try and play a 3 player game to learn the gameplay.

• Settlers is a good family game. I think your wife may like it.

• @Brain:

Settlers is a good family game. I think your wife may like it.

I got about twenty Catan matched under my belt, the game rocks. It’s our favorite game.

• My oldest son and I played a 2 player game tonight using the 2 player rules from Traders and Barbarians expansion. It can get intense at times which is a good thing. He said he didn’t want to play again because he lost and because he didn’t like it. Then right before he went to bed he asked me to get the board set up again so we can play tomorrow after school. I am going to try and get my youngest son to join us for a 3 player game which I think will make for a better game. I did mess up one rule, the distance rule, but figured our first time through it mistakes will be made. I will remember it for the next game. So far after the first game I am liking it and thinking of which expansion to get next. Any suggestions?

• I haven’t played using the expansions yet. I think a lot of people use the Knights of Catan expansion.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m