• Hi, @Krieghund I have two questions about the victory conditions of this game.

In the original manual it states:

“To win the game, the capturing player must still be in control of the enemy capital and his own capital at the beginning of his next turn.

But in the official FAQ it states:

“Q. I’m confused; just how many capitals must Germany capture in order to win?
    A. The Germans need to capture only one capital to win, but they must also control their own capital
    (Germany) at the same time. You need to control both of those capitals, simultaneously, for one
    complete round (the end of your turn until the end of your next turn).”

Bold emphasis mine. Is it beginning of your next turn or the end of your next turn? For what it’s worth, the original Pacific manual “said beginning of next turn.”

The next quick question is let’s say the US player conquers Berlin but Germany captures Moscow. Assuming the German player cannot recapture Berlin in the following turn, do the Allies have to recapture Moscow to officially win the game? Or does the game end because the US player retains his capital? To quote the manual:

“If you are one of the Allied powers (Great Britain, United States, or Soviet Union), you must occupy Germany and hold it until your next turn. You must also control your home country. (The Soviet player must retain control of Moscow.)”

The “home country” is the questionable part. It makes it seem like only the player conquering Germany must retain his capital, and other Allied capitals are irrelevant.

Thank you for your time!

• Official Q&A

@kwaspek104 said in Victory Condition Question:

In the original manual it states:

“To win the game, the capturing player must still be in control of the enemy capital and his own capital at the beginning of his next turn.

But in the official FAQ it states:

“Q. I’m confused; just how many capitals must Germany capture in order to win?
    A. The Germans need to capture only one capital to win, but they must also control their own capital
    (Germany) at the same time. You need to control both of those capitals, simultaneously, for one
    complete round (the end of your turn until the end of your next turn).”

Bold emphasis mine. Is it beginning of your next turn or the end of your next turn? For what it’s worth, the original Pacific manual “said beginning of next turn.”

It doesn’t matter, because if you control them at the beginning of your next turn you will also control them at the end of it. You can’t lose control of a territory during your own turn.

The next quick question is let’s say the US player conquers Berlin but Germany captures Moscow. Assuming the German player cannot recapture Berlin in the following turn, do the Allies have to recapture Moscow to officially win the game? Or does the game end because the US player retains his capital? To quote the manual:

“If you are one of the Allied powers (Great Britain, United States, or Soviet Union), you must occupy Germany and hold it until your next turn. You must also control your home country. (The Soviet player must retain control of Moscow.)”

The “home country” is the questionable part. It makes it seem like only the player conquering Germany must retain his capital, and other Allied capitals are irrelevant.

That’s correct. If the US captures Berlin, it doesn’t matter what happens to Moscow.

• Thanks for the answer.

@Krieghund said in Victory Condition Question:

It doesn’t matter, because if you control them at the beginning of your next turn you will also control them at the end of it. You can’t lose control of a territory during your own turn.

Clarifying Question: Germany captures Moscow on their turn. What happens if Berlin is captured on the US turn but then the Germans immediately recapture it on their following turn? Do they have to hold it for another round or does the game end right then & there?

• @kwaspek104 Germany must hold both Moscow and Berlin for another round.

• Thank you very much!

• @Krieghund respectfully, I feel you gave a contradictory answer in the previous thread to this same/similar question (Q/A posted below):

"Q (@COJOH): In the rules you can find dat Axis must occupy one of the capital cities of the Allies and hold it till your next turn and that you must also control Germany. But what if you occupy Moscow and you loose Germany. If you recapture then Germany and are still holding Moscow, do you win ? Or do you need to keep both territories until your next turn to win ?

A (@Krieghund): You win. You have to hold an enemy capital for a full round, but you only need to be in possession of your own capital at the end of your turn."

So which is correct? Must Germany hold Berlin for another round or do you ‘only need to be in possession of your own capital at the end of your turn’?

• @The_Good_Captain That would be interesting to know, because when I received the answer on my question that time, we ended our Europe game and… my brother (Axis) won from me. The allies were marching to Moscow in order to save them but were just one round to late; Germany took Moscow. So in a desperate attempt to strike back to Berlin with all available forces of the allies, my attack failed and Berlin survived, game over. Or not ?

• @The_Good_Captain Hmmm. It seems when I answered this before, I neglected to consult the FAQ. The answer here is correct, and the answer in the other thread is not. I have corrected it there. Sorry for any inconvenience.

• @COJOH said in Victory Condition Question:

@The_Good_Captain That would be interesting to know, because when I received the answer on my question that time, we ended our Europe game and… my brother (Axis) won from me. The allies were marching to Moscow in order to save them but were just one round to late; Germany took Moscow. So in a desperate attempt to strike back to Berlin with all available forces of the allies, my attack failed and Berlin survived, game over. Or not ?

According to what Krieghund said here, I would say yes.

@Krieghund said in Victory Condition Question:

@The_Good_Captain Hmmm. It seems when I answered this before, I neglected to consult the FAQ. The answer here is correct, and the answer in the other thread is not. I have corrected it there. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Yup, that makes sense. Thanks again guys!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m