France and what should be done about it.

• @Brain:

Yeah, but the Russians didn’t surrender.

That is correct, butt do remember there was only 40 million french and 200 million russians, and Sovjet Union territory was like 30 times larger than France, and had a very severe winter, too.

also if you visit http://www.dupyinstitute.org/ and look at the Captive Rate Study, you will see that the French did fight better than Italian and Russian soldiers. During the first phase of Operation Barbarossa, more than 3 million russian soldiers surrendered. So dont come with the “Russians never surrender” - sh*t BS talk.

• @Razor:

@Brain:

Yeah, but the Russians didn’t surrender.

That is correct, butt do remember there was only 40 million french and 200 million russians, and Sovjet Union territory was like 30 times larger than France, and had a very severe winter, too.

also if you visit http://www.dupyinstitute.org/ and look at the Captive Rate Study, you will see that the French did fight better than Italian and Russian soldiers. During the first phase of Operation Barbarossa, more than 3 million russian soldiers surrendered. So dont come with the “Russians never surrender” - sh*t BS talk.

I’m talking about the country as a whole, not an isolated battle.

• The French with British help didn’t last any longer than Poland. And Poland was being double-smashed.

• naw france was just caught off gaurd. and you have to analize the political situation too. and most of thie best forces were on the line.

• Oh and you think Poland wasn’t caught off gaurd. They put up a better fight, with less resources, than France.

(Rank = 73)

• @xzorn:

And Poland was being double-smashed.

yeah
    I had a weekend like that once… but I think she said they were Japanese twins not Polish

• It’s a good thing she cleared that up for you, it’s kind of hard to tell the difference between Japanese and Polish.

• Anything’s possible… mind you Polish twins don’t appear on the “Ten Things To Do Before I Die” list.

[Warning: Above contains ongoing vague movie reference that may entirely elude some readers.]

• And Japanese twins do. I think any nationality twins will do.

• You know if twins were involved that would invariably make for an awkward moment when you said one’s name at an inopportune time, you know what I mean.

• @maverick_76:

You know if twins were involved that would invariably make for an awkward moment when you said one’s name at an inopportune time, you know what I mean.

Just a chance you have to take.

• In order to get back on topic, I think you guys had better talk about French twins.

• its over rated trust me

• @idk_iam_swiss:

its over rated trust me

It all depends on your perspective.

• @oztea:

But on the international stage, the french screwed the pooch

After it was agreed with the joint declaration of war on germany by the UK and France, it was decided…

“Neither power shall surrender to germany unless the other consents to that surrender.”

When the german blitz cut off the Brits at Dunkirk and the road was open to Paris; what happened? Did france ‘need’ paris? was it their industrial base?, agricultural center? No…it was their cultural center, and when it was seriously threatened they surrendered, without even asking their allies or putting up resistance.

They caved to the Germans, and the Brits resented them for it, and the French resent the british for evacuating. In an alliance of convenience, driving a wedge bettwen the two parites (in this case the german blitz) is the best way to win. Divide and conquer so to speak.

France is looked down upon because, they could have fought on, it would be a struggle, a struggle for their country, however in surrendering they hoped their “nation” would be preserved, albeit under German occupation. The city of lights survived and so did millions of frenchmen, the musems and statues all endure to this day. But what does it say about a country not even willing to take up arms to protect its treasures, its people? a government that gives in to occupation, to survive as a nation in bondage. And herin lies the question, if the french didnt stand and fight for their own country, what does that say about it, is whatever cultural value it has worth fighting for? worth dieing for? Or are the french so progressive that they realize that these treasueres had to survive becuase they are so valueable, and surrender was the only option.

Yes and the french AND Brits should have opened a second front when we attacked Poland - neither of them did anything of value,…

so please don’t take a politicants pomise as thruth - they all lie.

The French were unable to continue the war and a “honorable” surrender helped to preserve much of Frances latter ability to FIGHT AGAIN…

• Fight again?
    Much of that was courtesy of the US and UK, who provided the free french with weapons, food, ammunition, armor, transportation, etc.

When France eventualy was liberated they only served as a reserve to the US and UK during the push into the Rhine

France resisted occupation, but they did so underground.

• @oztea:

Fight again?
    Much of that was courtesy of the US and UK, who provided the free french with weapons, food, ammunition, armor, transportation, etc.

When France eventualy was liberated they only served as a reserve to the US and UK during the push into the Rhine

France resisted occupation, but they did so underground.

Not so fast.

The legendary 2nd French Armored Division, after the Liberation of Paris, fought in the tank battles in Lorraine, destroying the German 112th Panzer Brigade at the town of Dompaire on 13 September 1944.

Subsequently, the 2nd Division operated with U.S. forces during the assault into the Vosges Mountains. Serving as the armored exploitation force for the U.S. XV Corps, the 2nd Division forced the Saverne Gap and thrust forward boldly, unbalancing German defenses in northern Alsace and liberating Strasbourg on 23 November 1944. The Presidential Unit Citation was awarded to the Division for this action.

Fighting in Alsace until the end of February, 1945, the 2nd Division was deployed to reduce the Royan Pocket on the western coast of France in March-April, 1945.

After forcing the Germans in the Royan Pocket to surrender on 18 April 1945, the 2nd Division crossed France again to rejoin the Allied 6th Army Group for final operations in Germany. Operating with the U.S. 12th Armored Division, elements of the French 2nd Armored Division pursued the remnants of German Army Group G across Swabia and Bavaria, occupying the town of Bad Reichenhall on 4 May 1945.

Eventually, the 2nd Division finished its campaigning at the Nazi resort town of Berchtesgaden in Southeastern Germany.

At the end of the campaign in northwestern Europe, the unit counted 1,687 dead, including 108 officers, and 3,300 wounded. It had killed 12,100 Axis soldiers, captured 41,500 and destroyed 332 heavy and medium tanks, 2,200 other vehicles, and 426 cannons of various types.

Also, can’t forget the Colmar Pocket in 20 January and 9 February 1945, where the French First Army and the U.S. XXI Corps overwhelmed German Nineteenth Army resistance in bitter, extremely cold winter fighting over terrain that offered practically no cover for attacking forces. French casualties were  13,000, US 8,000. Germans lost 22,000,probably high as 38,500.

Supplied by the Allies? Yes. As a reserve? Not the French First Army, the 2nd French Armored Division, or the FFI fighting scattered German remnants in France.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

UN Spacy - Nice screen name! I should have went with RDF…

• Customizer

I’d like an option to add our own national flags to our on-screen profiles like on BGG.  I get confused when people talk about when “we” invaded Poland…

• by “we” you mean the Germans right?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m