What percentage is luck involved in a games outcome?

• @newpaintbrush:

In the first case, there will be more luck involved, but the incompetence of the players will minimize the effects of luck.

In the second case, there is less luck involved, but the competence of the players will maximize the effects of luck.

Excellent post and observation.

+1 Karma

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Thanks for the vote of confidence, DM.

But to be honest, I just wanted those frackin tanks back in Moscow.  I didn’t even think about hitting Kazakh with the Russian armies and air force and then driving home.

Of course, that would only have saved me a few infantry since the Germans and Japanese would have been seriously powerful enough to decimate 9 times over the Russian capitol and still have forces left to garrison all border territories.

*To decimate is to reduce by 1 tenth.  To decimate 9 times over is to reduce by 90%.  In other words, I’d have most of my air force and nothing else.

As it is, Switch is now piling every last man he has into Caucasus.  He’ll still probably win, but considering the game looked to be over in Round 5 and it’s now Round 8, I’m giving myself kudos for not only surviving this long, but leveling the playing field slightly.  He used to have a 2:1 army value advantage, now he’s only approaching a 2:1 value advantage. :P  And his fleets are toast if they get near mine. :)

• Ah Jen…

I DO have that 2:1 advantage on land units.  Yes, you have undisputed control of the Atlantic and Arctic Oceans.  I have undisputed control over the Pacific and Indian Oceans (I see that Russian Sub about to round the Cape of Good Hope…  He won;t last long…)

The only American land forces on the board are in North America (and Midway’s INF), or in Africa.  USA has 3 FIGs in Moscow, and a BOM in UK.  Their fleet is in SZ12 (and 3 new TRN in SZ10)
    UK has forces only in UK, Archangel and Moscow (other than fleet that is all in SZ4).  Oh, and 1 INF in Alaska…
    Russia is down to Archangel (with the UK keeping it liberated) and Moscow.

Germany has INF stacks in Western, Southern, and Caucuses, and a mini-stack in Eastern (Berlin is not currently under threat), has re-entered Africa with an ARM in Egypt, and is collecting $47

Japan has a stack in Novo, a mini-stack plus their AF in Caucuses, a mini-stack in Persia, a to-be-assembled mini-stack in India/FIC, and small stacks in Bury and Japan.  Fleet in SZ60, and a split-fleet that is in SZ36 and 32.

Axis has been collecting in the $90’s for several turns…

• If the players are of equal skill, i.e. they calculate costs/risks the same way, then the only factor left is luck. Therefore, 100%. There’s no amount of skill that can compensate for the Japanese transport taking out both destroyer/carrier off of Kwangtung and surviving, or any amount of skill that compensates for a W. Russia defense that leaves the Russians with no inf on the first round.

If the players are of unequal skill, then luck has less of a factor. It could even be the minority factor if the other player is behind the ball on  assessing/predicting the board.

• 2007 AAR League

@newpaintbrush:

"All things being as equal as possible regarding player skill, what percentage does luck influence the outcome of the game? In other words, how much luck is involved in the outcome of the game between players of equal skill? "

The question omits the question of how skilled the players are.  Does the question of skill make a significant difference?

Two unskilled players will unknowingly undertake unfavorable battles, but will also fail to exploit opportunities.  There, strategy will still be a factor, but luck will play a significant role.

Very skilled players will undertake battles that are unfavorable, if such battles are the only chance of success.  Let us say that Germany can take Russia with 20% odds, but that failure to do so will decrease the German player’s chances every turn thereafter.  So the LOGICAL thing for the German player to do would be to try the long odds.

In the first case, there will be more luck involved, but the incompetence of the players will minimize the effects of luck.

In the second case, there is less luck involved, but the competence of the players will maximize the effects of luck.

So what’s the percentage?

Hm.

No one has yet answered my question of whether there is ANY factor besides skill and luck in the game.

If there is no third factor, then luck = 100% of the deciding factor where there is no difference in skill.

Let’s try it this way: In chess, is there any factor other than skill? If there is, then this factor might also co-exist with luck and skill in AAR, in which case the question really means what is the percentage between luck and this other factor.

Let’s try one last time. Suppose you have two equally skilled chess players. They alternate playing black and white (white has a slight advantage). Since they are equal in skill, you expect that of the games that do not end in stalemate, each player will win half, since they are equal in skill. Did I mention that they are equal in skill?

Actually, chess demonstrates this quite nicely. At high levels of play, players are very closely matched. For this reason, they play a bunch of games between the same players. Generally, white wins. The players are quite evenly matched, so the result in each game is determined more by the fact that white has a very slight advantage. The player who is just a little better simply manages to achieve more draws as black, or might get one victory as black.

So in chess there are two factors: skill, and the inherent imbalance of the board. Between perfectly matched players, that imbalance between white and black is decisive in pretty much all the games.

In A&A, there is also an inherent imbalance in the game which the bid intends to offset but it probably does not do so perfectly.

So where skill cannot be the deciding factor between players, since it is equal, the question is to what extent do the dice determine the outcome, and to what extent the inherent imbalance? I would say that the bid comes pretty close to eliminating the imbalance, so I would say that luck is 90% and imbalance is 10%.

Unless anyone can think of any other factors. Skill is by definition out of the question, so we are dividing a pie of 100% between dice and any other factors.

Or can someone explain to be how skill can play a role in determining the outcome, when skill is equal.

Gah! It’s just COMMON SENSE!

Imagine two players playing. They have equal skill (they just do.) One of them wins. Now ask yourself the question, why did Player A win? It CANNOT have been because of superior skill, because their skill was equal. When you’re looking for what made the difference in something, you are looking for things that are different. Science 101.

Skill will only win you a game when you have more of it than the other guy. If there is a way to win by being less skilled, I’d like to know about it!

YAY - Trihero gets it! +1 for him!

• Yay, thanks Frood. We both get it!

By the way, who is smiting me -_-? I don’t smite anyone!

• I would give you + karma Frood, but I’m still noob at this board….

If we agree that skill is an very important factor in A&A, why are there still so many ppl who play with
    dice instead of low luck???

• There is already luck involved if playing with low luck.
    A great deal imo.
    Especially in the beginning of the game, first rnd, and some later, but more units means less luck, when playing
    low luck games.
    SBR is a good example. The difference between depriving G for 15-20 ipc through 5 rnds or
    getting bmr shot down rnd 1 is huge. Maybe numbers could be up to 30 ipc with both UK and US bmr
    surviving to rnd 5 and further.
    Naval warfare, naval units are more expensive than land units, and naval warfare is very important in revised, often conducted with few units and luck is an important factor in all (low luck) battles with few units.
    In all battles which includes air units in the attacking force, when attacking land TT with AA guns there is luck involved,
    except those (low luck) battles with exactly 6 air units in the attacking force.
    There are some “hardcore” gamers who plays in the lobby now and then who speaks of “no luck” option.
    I welcome it and would like to try it, if it is well implemented in the tripleA version.
    I would be more happy if most players prefered low luck rather than if a “no luck” option was available though.

I’m suprised that so few ppl see that A&A would still be both about skill and luck with low luck,
    but with dice it’s mostly luck which decides the outcome.

• 2007 AAR League

@trihero:

Yay, thanks Frood. We both get it!

Same here - I’m not THAT abrasive, am I?

Anywho, I thought of a few more examples that make the point.

Example 1: You are cooking scrambled eggs. When you cook them, you add a little water to make them fluffier. Assuming all else is equal, there will be two factors determining how your eggs turn out: how much water you add, and how much time you cook them for.
    Now in our little controlled experiment, we want to narrow it down further, and find out what difference the amount of water makes. So now we say “Assuming the two eggs are as equal as possible with regard to the amount of time they are cooked, how significant is the amount of water added?”

You then cook a bunch of eggs under the same circumstances, for the same amount of time, only varying the amount of water added to the eggs. You get a bunch of different eggs. Now we ask “What accounts for the difference in these eggs? How significant was the amount of water?”

The answer is that the difference in water accounts for 100% of the difference, since in our experiment we have defined all other factors to be equal.

Example #2:

An even better example, this time from the world of figure skating. Suppose we have two equally skilled figure skaters. By equally skilled I mean that they consistently get the same marks for technical merit. However, the marks they get for artistic impression tend to vary much more - it is more subjective on the part of judges, they skate to different music, etc. so there tends to often be a difference in their artistic marks.

Now we come to the night of the competition. Both skaters do in fact get the same score in technical marks. This happens often in real life and it happens in our example here. Thus, we have a situation where the judges at least have deemed that their “skill level is as equal as possible” - they could find no basis on which to give one a higher score than the other.

So they have the same technical marks. (drum roll please) The question now is “Having scored the same in technical merit, how important will their mark in artistic merit be?”

The answer is 100%. The gold medal will be decided solely by the factor of artistic merit (assuming that there are no other factors beyond those assumed in our question).

Equal Skill DOES NOT EQUAL perfect play.  
    If skill is equal the luck factor is no where near 100%.

Take two players who are equally skilled (but each player makes two mistakes every game they play which would define them as equal).  If they play 100 games and end up with a 50-50 split that would tend to confirm that yep they are equal and the deciding factor (while it could be dice) it ALSO could be when each player makes his 2 mistakes and how costly that mistake was (such as a bad purchase which has nothing to do with dice) and I’ll list some other possible factors a little later.

Now, Luck is the same for everyone, so as some of you put it, if you assume equal skill and take it out of the equation and are left with 100% Luck for these games, what happens when two people play 100 games and someone wins 60-40.  I can only assume that you guys would say one person is just luckier than the other, but I’d argue the initial assumption of equal skill was false for these two players.  And the guy that won 60 is actually BETTER than the guy that won 40, not luckier.

Also what happens if you completely remove luck and play no luck for a 100 games and end up with a 50-50 split with players of equal skill?  How did each player win 50?  It wasn’t the dice since you removed that variable.  It wasn’t skill since you defined them to be equal, so like chess there could be other factors involved.

Luck is a factor in small samples of games, but longterm all things even out and you are left with the better skilled players win more.

Also it is possible to be better than someone and lose and not have it releted to dice.  Pick your sport, every year in every sport some “bad team” beats a good one, while it could be luck (like a ref made a favorable call or a call was missed), it could also be the bad team was just on and had a great night.  All humans make mistakes, again it is false to assume equal skill means perfect play.

The same is true for A&A, luck and skill are not the only factors, there is fatigue (mentioned by Shadowhawk), focus, board set-up, bid placement, how serious are you taking the game or your opponent, ego, stubbornness, personality traits, purchases and probably a few others that I wouldn’t necessarily put into the class of “skill”.

Also the skill sets for the Axis compared to the Allies is different.  A great Allied player does not guarantee a great Axis player.

@Frood:

@trihero:

Yay, thanks Frood. We both get it!

The answer is 100%. The gold medal will be decided solely by the factor of artistic merit (assuming that there are no other factors beyond those assumed in our question).

But there are other factors, which might be what you are looking for.

In this case the judges are a factor.  They could be biased.  While the artistc score will decide the competition, the basis of giving that score may not be uniform for both participants.  I’m sure we are all aware of some wacky scoring that my take place in the Olympics.  Maybe the judge is racist and scores highly for the skater of his race, maybe they are from the same country, maybe they were paid off, maybe they voted for the best looking skater, etc…

• @Lucifer:

I’m suprised that so few ppl see that A&A would still be both about skill and luck with low luck,

You, sir, are a heretic.

(Halo 2 grunts chime in)

“Her-e-tic!  Her-e-tic!”

• I think the best players are those that are able to exploit the openings left with good luck on an attack, and minimize the problems given with bad luck on an attack.

Those that play low-luck just can’t handle it!  :roll:

and now for an impromptu crack pipe moment . . . (fanfare)

STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE

(with crack pipe and low luck)

Ben:  “Use teh forcez0rz, Luke!”

Luke: “okays” (switches off X-wing targeting computer)

Control:  “R U on crack?  wazap?”

Luke:  “No, I’m fine . . .”

(a couple minutes later)

pew pew!

Han:  “WTF u missed!”

Luke:  “wat?  But i used teh forcez0rz!”

Darth Vader:  (spinning around):  “Hahahaha i used low luck!  ur shot have no chance of going in!  all ur base are belong to us!”

Jar Jar Binks:  “Meesa love low luck!  All hail teh Galactic Empirezorz!”

• @newpaintbrush:

@Lucifer:

You, sir, are a heretic.

(Halo 2 grunts chime in)

“Her-e-tic!  Her-e-tic!”

You are sometimes funny, but this is a serious matter for me.

Example: UK1. UK make combat moves, 2 inf vs 1 inf in Borneo, 2 inf vs 1 inf New Guinea, DD vs Jap trans,
    sub vs sub, 2 ftrs 1 bmr vs 2 subs 1 DD 1 trans in Baltic.
    Russia would move 6 inf to Bury because UK DD usually kills Jap trans.
    If UK gets unlucky in all those battles, that is a big setback for allies.
    Germany may attack UK fleet in sz2 with 2 subs (8 bid) 1 ftr 1 bmr.
    These are just examples of battles with low luck in which luck is a huge factor.
    You may not have noticed this, but there are almost no battles in which no dice is not rolled, with low luck!

• @newpaintbrush:

I think the best players are those that are able to exploit the openings left with good luck on an attack, and minimize the problems given with bad luck on an attack.

Those that play low-luck just can’t handle it!   :roll:

(a couple minutes later)

pew pew!

Darth Vader:  (spinning around):  “Hahahaha i used low luck!  ur shot have no chance of going in!  all ur base are belong to us!”

:lol:

Smite me with your rubber chicken, and give me some of your crack, you seem to have more crack than
    Germans have infantry in WE  :-D

• @newpaintbrush:

I think the best players are those that are able to exploit the openings left with good luck on an attack, and minimize the problems given with bad luck on an attack.

Those that play low-luck just can’t handle it!   :roll:

(a couple minutes later)

pew pew!

new paintbrush, you are definitely incontrovertibile and unquestionably a genius!

I would try to add my contribution!

STAR WARS: The Empire Strike Back
    (without crack pipe… but with two beers)

Darth Vader:  Impressive. Most impressive. Obi-Wan has taught you well. You have controlled your dice. Attacking with 18 dice points to have 3 sure hits!

“Low Luke”: yes I was the best student in the last course of Master Yoda!

Darth Vader: Again that small, green, low lucker! One of this days I am going to cut him into little pieces!

“Low Luke”: Yeah! I fight only when I am sure of winning! I take no risk! Dices are so… random!

Darth Vader: But you miss most opportunity and looking only for sure battle your game is predictable and standardized! I will overcome you! If you only knew the power of the dark dices! (…classic Darth Vader mask noise…) It is why you failed at destroying the Death Star! I won the Boonta Eve classic podrace because I take in account risk in my planning!  With ordinary luck I destroyed a Confederation of Commerce Control Warship and I was only nine!

… noises of lightsabers …

“Low luke”: What did you invented? Those attacks!!! They have not an exact multiple of 6 as die points… AAAAAAAH … my hand is gone!

Darth Vader: There is no escape. Don’t make me destroy you! … I am your father!

“Low Luke”: Nooooooooooo!!! (falling down, with one less hand…)

Darth Vader: Luke! Listen me! Have an haircut!

• 2007 AAR League

I agree, there probably are other factors besides skill and luck. However, the question seems to assume that those two are the only ones, so as the question is stated, the answer has to be 100%.

My point is that as stated, the question by definition means that skill is NOT a factor in deciding the game between the two players. Since it is equal, you cannot say that one or the other play won on the basis of skill. With skill eliminated, that leaves luck as the only factor contemplated in the question.

• @Frood:

I agree, there probably are other factors besides skill and luck. However, the question seems to assume that those two are the only ones, so as the question is stated, the answer has to be 100%.

My point is that as stated, the question by definition means that skill is NOT a factor in deciding the game between the two players. Since it is equal, you cannot say that one or the other play won on the basis of skill. With skill eliminated, that leaves luck as the only factor contemplated in the question.

I already said the spirit of the question didn’t include skills being exactly equal.

I was trying to eliminate the Skill factor as a determinate of the outcome in an effort (as you so aptly put) to measure how much is luck (the only other ‘remaining’ factor in a game).

If I had asked
    “how much luck is involved in A&A?”

The discussion would’ve been about players of differing skill levels, and then, of course, the discussion would’ve spit off into measuring skill… etc… blah blah Blah!

This is a “feeling” kind of question.

How about if I asked:
    “How much do you feel luck is a factor in determing the outcome of A&A games?”

• what if the players are equally skilled, but one player is more skilled at taking advantage of strategic openings that occur because of the results of a lucky attack, but the other player is more skilled at minimizing the problems that occur because of the results of an unlucky attack?

WAT THEN?

I think for players of equal skill, luck determines around 30% of the games played.

• 2007 AAR League

If skill is not exactly equal (which only happens in theory, not in real life), then the importance of luck depends on the degree of difference in skill.

E.g. if I am playing someone who is just a little better than me, then I might beat them sometimes on account of luck. Luck will be a major factor in determining the games.

I cannot beat a superior player on skill alone. On the basis of skill, they have me beat.

If on the other hand I am playing someone who is WAY better than me, or someone who is way worse than me, then I will lose every single game, or win every single game. Luck becomes an insignificant factor when skill differences are large.

Now, since the significance of luck varies depending on the skill difference, you need to know exactly how big the skill difference is to determine how significant luck will be as a factor. “Roughly equal skill” does not give enough precision. Depending how roughly equal skill is, luck could range from a 95% factor to a 30% factor.

Do you see how the importance of luck varies according to the amount of difference in skill?

Look at it this way: going into a game, it is easier to predict the outcome when the skill difference is large. When there is little skill difference, it really is anyone’s guess as to who will win - you might as well toss a coin, because on the basis of skill you can’t predict. Thus luck is a bigger factor in that game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m