• Recently, the media is showing a lot of “stuff” that portrays police officers in a bad way. What are your thoughts on this? Personally, I’m siding in defense of the officers. If anyone has some statistics on this, I’d appreciate it.

• I’m not sure, but are you talking about the recent actions that happened in Inglewood, Los Angeles? On that particular case (where an amateur cameraman taped police officer Morse slamming 16-year-old Donovan Jackson onto the trunk of a squad car and then punching him in the head), I thought that the LAPD were wrong on this particular instance. Now, many times I will side for the police. Lets face it, we need the police in areas of high crime. I’ve been around long enough to know this.

But I also think the officer’s conduct was inappropriate (the young male had was handcuffed when his face was slammed), though was probably not a “hate crime." [still under investigation] Now the officer responded that his testicles were grabbed after being handcuffed. Morse was in “extreme pain” and punched Jackson to make him let go, according to the report. However, after carefully going over the scenario closely, this would be shaky at best. With the handcuffs on, it would be extremely difficult for Jackson to grab his testicles with the positioning showed on tape. Also, the officer comment that it was the young man’s right/left hand that was used. But when you are handcuffed from behind the back, both of your hands would be together. Therefore, it would be more likely that both hands were used, not just one as the officer said. Other evidence suggested that the police officer was hit by Jackson prior to being handcuffed. But after going over the tap, the punch thrown by Jackson was very weak (judging by the movement of the arm and the expression of the officer), not nearly as strong as when Morse threw his own punch with a closed fist.

I’m looking into the police department, though it does not seem that this police brutality is widespread – though I’m still looking to the matter.

BTW: What type of stats are you looking for.

• '19 Moderator

I didn’t vote on this one because I belive that any brutality should not be tolorated and that it does to some extent exist. I do not belive that it is “out of hand”. I think a large part of every persons day is spent controling and or directing emotion. For police officers it is probably 95% of their day. They are expected to maintain a profesional attitude and rightly so. It is enevitable that some will not be able to maintain this restraint and I belive that for the most part these individuals will be weeded out and replaced by others with more self control. I am by no means saying that we should ignore situatiuons like this, that they will work them selves out, but that we the public need to be, and I belive are, a part of the solution.

• I have to agree with what Patton said :wink:
    By and large, I would have to say 80-90% (too high, too low?) of the police force in LA does care about protecting the lives of citizens and aren’t corrupt, vicious officers. Yet it only takes one or two of the “bad cops” to make the entire law enforcement like some “big brother” system purposely out to get people. What happened in Inglewood was exactly that - one officer making the entire police force look bad.

• We’ve had a bit of aproblem with this in seattle, WTO and all, plus recent shootings of police officers preceeded by police shooting suspects. However, I think the occaisions of this happening are rare.

In the end, I don’t think police are paid enough or well trained enough.

• “In the end, I don’t think police are paid enough or well trained enough.”

Police are trained well enough, though I don’t think they are paid enough.
    Lack of adequate police training still shouldn’t be an excuse for police brutality.

• My biggest problem with this entire situation is that media tends to focus on situations in which the victim was a minority. I have yet to see anyone speak out against a white police officer being shot by a black man. When this sort of situation happens, people wave it off as not being “racially motivated.” Yet, when a black man was shot by a white police officer (in self-defence mind you), protestors (led by a black citycouncilman) stormed our freeway (seattle) and shut it down for hours in protest of a racially motivated shooting. Now, where was the outrage when the white police officer was shot a couple weeks ago? Where was that citycouncilman? I guess it’s only important enough to protest against when a black man dies…

Anyways, that probably has nothing to do with the post I started, but oh well. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an absolute shame when anyone dies, and I’m not mad at the officers or at the black community. My problem is with the hypocrites in the media and in government.

• “But I also think the officer’s conduct was inappropriate (the young male had was handcuffed when his face was slammed), though was probably not a “hate crime.” [still under investigation] "

not this again. One, there were two black cops there. This was not a hate crime against black people, like the media would wants us to think. I believe that the white cop who punched the guy was an asshole (cops assholes? thats unpossible.) It seems like his buddies were behind him, so maybe the guy getting arrested nabbed the cop’s nuts. Most probably he thought he would get away with it.

• What is the definition of police brutality?

Cops have a dangerous job, they have right to protect themselves.
    Obviously, there are limits.
    However, if you are breaking the law or violent with police I think you should be dealt with very harshly.

• Iagree with both Ghoul and Patton. Obviously the cops need to have appropriate internal policing and discipline, however i think that the media grabs a couple of “instances” and then out of 300 million people, a couple of cases of rough cops turns into an epidemic of police brutality?
    I think that on the whole (at least up here) the cops are doing the best they can with what they have. If a few go “rogue”, then they should be punished, but given a combination of the stressful emotions they suffer (fear, anger, sense of responsibility, etc.) it is easy to see why the odd time one loses it. I’m actually surprised we don’t see more “over-punishment” of arresties.

• @cystic:

Iagree with both Ghoul and Patton. Obviously the cops need to have appropriate internal policing and discipline, however i think that the media grabs a couple of “instances” and then out of 300 million people, a couple of cases of rough cops turns into an epidemic of police brutality?
    I think that on the whole (at least up here) the cops are doing the best they can with what they have. If a few go “rogue”, then they should be punished, but given a combination of the stressful emotions they suffer (fear, anger, sense of responsibility, etc.) it is easy to see why the odd time one loses it. I’m actually surprised we don’t see more “over-punishment” of arresties.

Yes

• “My biggest problem with this entire situation is that media tends to focus on situations in which the victim was a minority.”

As a member of the minority, I do see this happen a lot. I used to admire Rev. Jesse Jackson, but now I think he’s using Afro Africans for more of his own personal interest, not for the advancement of colored people as a whole. I will not tolerate this.

“I have yet to see anyone speak out against a white police officer being shot by a black man.”

And recently, I have yet to see anyone speak out against a black officer being shot by a white man.

“Yet, when a black man was shot by a white police officer (in self-defence mind you), protestors (led by a black citycouncilman) stormed our freeway (seattle) and shut it down for hours in protest of a racially motivated shooting.”

I don’t keep track as much on crimes in Seattle. What was the particular case? Was it really self-defense? And even if it wasn’t “racially motivated,” was it still justified? You have to ask yourself questions like that. I always try to handle every instance of “police brutality” or “racism” case by case.

“I guess it’s only important enough to protest against when a black man dies…”

Please, I consider this racial biased. Do not be so quick to generalizations. There are still “hate crimes” committed by police officers where the alleged criminal is denied basic rights (such as the right to a phone call or a lawyer) because of the racial bigotry. I’ve seen my own friends unlawfully searched and even victimized by the police without any clear indications to warrant such acts except for the clothes he wore and the color of his skin. Is every case where an officer harms a black protested? No. Are there cases where people protest “race” being a factor, when in reality it should be? Yes. Again, you have to take cases as they come; don’t assume anything.

“My problem is with the hypocrites in the media and in government”

I agree too.

“I’m actually surprised we don’t see more “over-punishment” of arresties.”

Oh I assure you it does. The problem is that even the arrestees are often too afraid to speak out against the PD, the department silences their complaints, the arrestee accept it as the sad fact in life, or they lack the evidence to prove that it did indeed happen. If a police officer victimized you, but there was no evidence he did it, would anybody believe you? Would they even be on your side? Would you want to damage your reputation by doing this? (Making a accusation against someone, even if it is true, is a very serious matter)

“One, there were two black cops there. This was not a hate crime against black people, like the media would wants us to think. I believe that the white cop who punched the guy was an a**hole (cops assholes? thats unpossible.) It seems like his buddies were behind him, so maybe the guy getting arrested nabbed the cop’s nuts. Most probably he thought he would get away with it.”

An interesting thing to point out: When Morse (the officer) hit Jackson (the 16-year-old), we actually saw one of the other police officers pull Morse’s arm away (maybe as an indication that Morse was indeed out of line and might even of hit Jackson again). But like I said, this probably wasn’t a hate crime. I still have to look into this some more.

• "colored people "

i hate that term…so whites aren’t worth of color! we’re peach-ish!

Anyhow the media does tend to focus more on what can possibly be a hate motivated crime. On the day that Diallo guy was shot 41 times, 4 white guys were killed by a mob of black people. Possible both hate crimes, or justy plain crimes, but the media seems to report one thing and not the other.

• “Anyhow the media does tend to focus more on what can possibly be a hate motivated crime. On the day that Diallo guy was shot 41 times, 4 white guys were killed by a mob of black people. Possible both hate crimes, or justy plain crimes, but the media seems to report one thing and not the other.”

Whichever case would get the most viewers and therefore the most publicity, coverage, and outrage. I wish we can all devote equal time and coverage to every murder, robbery, theft, or any other such crime. However, the media can’t and/or won’t. It’s also interesting to also point out how crimes happen all the time in the inner city and the surrounding urban/suburb community. Yet, most of them are hardly covered by the news media. A good example would be child kidnapping. Every year, there are thousands of cases of missing/kidnapped children. In spite of that, hardly do you see any extensive coverage on the news of a minority child being kidnapped or presumed missing. Usually, those who get the most coverage are children (usually a daughter) of white, suburban middle-class families. Think about that.

• @TG:

“Anyhow the media does tend to focus more on what can possibly be a hate motivated crime. On the day that Diallo guy was shot 41 times, 4 white guys were killed by a mob of black people. Possible both hate crimes, or justy plain crimes, but the media seems to report one thing and not the other.”

Whichever case would get the most viewers and therefore the most publicity, coverage, and outrage. I wish we can all devote equal time and coverage to every murder, robbery, theft, or any other such crime. However, the media can’t and/or won’t. It’s also interesting to also point out how crimes happen all the time in the inner city and the surrounding urban/suburb community. Yet, most of them are hardly covered by the news media. A good example would be child kidnapping. Every year, there are thousands of cases of missing/kidnapped children. In spite of that, hardly do you see any extensive coverage on the news of a minority child being kidnapped or presumed missing. Usually, those who get the most coverage are children (usually a daughter) of white, suburban middle-class families. Think about that.

There is more shock value there.
    People would expect horrible things to happen in inner cities.

• For better or for worst, shock value, hate crimes, ect. it’s all harnessed by the media to get the people to watch.

• “Whichever case would get the most viewers and therefore the most publicity, coverage, and outrage. I wish we can all devote equal time and coverage to every murder, robbery, theft, or any other such crime. However, the media can’t and/or won’t. It’s also interesting to also point out how crimes happen all the time in the inner city and the surrounding urban/suburb community. Yet, most of them are hardly covered by the news media. A good example would be child kidnapping. Every year, there are thousands of cases of missing/kidnapped children. In spite of that, hardly do you see any extensive coverage on the news of a minority child being kidnapped or presumed missing. Usually, those who get the most coverage are children (usually a daughter) of white, suburban middle-class families. Think about that.”

Naw, any little girl in a “safe area.” The media purposely likes to provoke hatreds and issues, just to get viewers. If the establishment was overhwelming liberal, i’m sure the media would defy conventions and be conservative.

• But you are forgetting that here, the Establishment is overhwelming liberal. (media being what you see on the newspaper and TV, radio is very conservative [at least the stations I listen to])

“Naw, any little girl in a “safe area.””

I wouldn’t be too sure. I’ve seen cases of minority “little girls” taken from “safe areas” but they hardly get any media coverage. But, like you said, the media does purposely provoke ill feelings and issues just to get viewers even when none exist.

• I don’t think it matters whether they’re liberal or conservative…they’re all full of a bunch of half-truths anways…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m