German strategy for the world game

• @calvinhobbesliker:

No, it’s not. Especially if they build 10 inf a turn. For every 2 inf they build, you have to build an in, art, and trans, so you quickly run out of money

Look, Italy has an edge over Britain in Africa and the Middle East most likely, with being close to North Africa, thats so much losses after a while, and if Germany is doing their job, and their bitch is doing their job, they should be fine.

• @Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

No, it’s not. Especially if they build 10 inf a turn. For every 2 inf they build, you have to build an in, art, and trans, so you quickly run out of money

Look, Italy has an edge over Britain in Africa and the Middle East most likely, with being close to North Africa, thats so much losses after a while, and if Germany is doing their job, and their b**** is doing their job, they should be fine.

An edge over Britain? Britain has a FACTORY in Africa and the only pro-axis Midlle Eastern Country, Iraq, is easily invadable from West India. Besides, Iraq doesn’t touch the Med, so Italy will have to go through Syria or Jordan to reach it. Italy is close to N Africa, but the British can sink their transports, preventing reinforcements like they did historically. Tanks built in S Africa can reach Egypt in 2 turns.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Look, Italy has an edge over Britain in Africa and the Middle East most likely, with being close to North Africa, thats so much losses after a while, and if Germany is doing their job, and their b**** is doing their job, they should be fine.

An edge over Britain? Britain has a FACTORY in Africa and the only pro-axis Midlle Eastern Country, Iraq, is easily invadable from West India. Besides, Iraq doesn’t touch the Med, so Italy will have to go through Syria or Jordan to reach it. Italy is close to N Africa, but the British can sink their transports, preventing reinforcements like they did historically. Tanks built in S Africa can reach Egypt in 2 turns.

Even if Italy can not do it alone Japan will most likely make it through, also I am sure Italy can build at least a minor IC in Africa, might need to get pass Egypt to do it their.

• @Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Even if Italy can not do it alone Japan will most likely make it through, also I am sure Italy can build at least a minor IC in Africa, might need to get pass Egypt to do it their.

Japan? They take 5-7 turns to capture East India. They’re not going to be doing anything Africa-related for a long while.

I doubt Italy will have any tt which 3 or more ipc in Africa. Maybe Libya will be 2, but that’s a waste of 12 ipcs just to build a factory when transports would suffice. Italy cannot bypass Egypt; the Sahara prevents this. Egypt is the key to Africa, the Middle East, and India. Thus, in a Global game, taking it should not be easy(like in ALL other games)

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Japan? They take 5-7 turns to capture East India. They’re not going to be doing anything Africa-related for a long while.

I doubt Italy will have any tt which 3 or more ipc in Africa. Maybe Libya will be 2, but that’s a waste of 12 ipcs just to build a factory when transports would suffice. Italy cannot bypass Egypt; the Sahara prevents this. Egypt is the key to Africa, the Middle East, and India. Thus, in a Global game, taking it should not be easy(like in ALL other games)

So are you saying the Allies get a huge edge

• @Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

So are you saying the Allies get a huge edge

No, I’m just saying the Axis won’t get a huge edge in that area like they always have.

• The side that gets air & naval superiority in the Med will have the advantage in Africa. Italy will have the only IC in the Med, so I would think they will have a slight edge early on. You know Italy will spend most of its $ there, where UK has a lot of other commitments (North Sea/Atlantic, India etc), so I don’t think UK will be able to match Italy $ for $. Most AA games start w/UK getting its A$$ kicked (especially its navy). I picture a UK rd2 last stand at Malta, with its navy and air for some reason. I could be way off, but I think Malta may be the only island in the Med w/allied air base (scramble) from the start. The only thing UK has going for it is it can consolidate its power before Italy’s turn, so it could be a tough nut to crack.

• @WILD:

The side that gets air & naval superiority in the Med will have the advantage in Africa. Italy will have the only IC in the Med, so I would think they will have a slight edge early on. You know Italy will spend most of its $ there, where UK has a lot of other commitments, so I don’t think UK will be able to match Italy $ for $. Most AA games start w/UK getting its A$$ kicked (especially its navy). I picture a UK rd2 last stand at Malta, with its navy and air for some reason. I could be way off, but I think Malta may be the only island in the Med w/allied air base (scramble) from the start. The only thing UK has going for it is it can consolidate its power before Italy’s turn, so it could be a tough nut to crack.

Well, the UK will have a strong navy in the Med. Tanks in SA can reach Egypt in 2 turns, and UK can also build a factory in West India to protect Egypt.

• @Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@WILD:

The side that gets air & naval superiority in the Med will have the advantage in Africa. Italy will have the only IC in the Med, so I would think they will have a slight edge early on. You know Italy will spend most of its $ there, where UK has a lot of other commitments, so I don’t think UK will be able to match Italy $ for $. Most AA games start w/UK getting its A$$ kicked (especially its navy). I picture a UK rd2 last stand at Malta, with its navy and air for some reason. I could be way off, but I think Malta may be the only island in the Med w/allied air base (scramble) from the start. The only thing UK has going for it is it can consolidate its power before Italy’s turn, so it could be a tough nut to crack.

Well, the UK will have a strong navy in the Med. Tanks in SA can reach Egypt in 2 turns, and UK can also build a factory in West India to protect Egypt.

But remember India will be fairly poor, in IPCS

West India belongs to UK

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Agreed, but Italy will be a power house too, and its navy has to be larger then what UK can bring at it rd1. There is no way UK will be able to take out the Italian navy in its opening move (remember UK goes before the Italians). UK will not be able to attack and sink the Italian navy rd1, (if it can game is broken) but it will get the chance to move its units into a def posture. I think it will take a few rds to sort out who ends up with the superiority in the Med, but UK will have its hands full with Germany in the N Sea/Atlantic. It would be nice to build another UK IC (minor) in W India, but will they be able to afford it and still feed all its other IC’s.

• I’m also expecting the Germans to have more navy then normal in the Baltic w/many subs in the Atlantic. That and the fact the UK will most likely be isolated the first 2-3 rounds (no allies), could take its toll on the UK navy.

@WILD:

There is no way UK will be able to take out the Italian navy in its opening move (remember UK goes before the Italians). UK will not be able to attack and sink the Italian navy rd1, (if it can game is broken) but it will get the chance to move its units into a def posture.

Edit:
    Let me rephrase this, as long as Germany does its job rd #1, and takes crucial units from UK that are in striking range of the Italian navy, then the UK should not be able to sink the Italian navy. I do remember a German blunder not taking out UK ships in sz 12/15 rd1 in AA50 that leads to the Italian navy getting sunk rd1.

• @WILD:

I’m also expecting the Germans to have more navy then normal in the Baltic w/many subs in the Atlantic. That and the fact the UK will most likely be isolated the first 2-3 rounds (no allies), could take its toll on the UK navy.

@WILD:

There is no way UK will be able to take out the Italian navy in its opening move (remember UK goes before the Italians). UK will not be able to attack and sink the Italian navy rd1, (if it can game is broken) but it will get the chance to move its units into a def posture.

Edit:
    Let me rephrase this, as long as Germany does its job rd #1, and takes crucial units from UK that are in striking range of the Italian navy, then the UK should not be able to sink the Italian navy. I do remember a German blunder not taking out UK ships in sz 12/15 rd1 in AA50 that leads to the Italian navy getting sunk rd1.

Well we do not even know the starting set up, like of who has more ships in the Med and stuff.

• @WILD:

I’m also expecting the Germans to have more navy then normal in the Baltic w/many subs in the Atlantic. That and the fact the UK will most likely be isolated the first 2-3 rounds (no allies), could take its toll on the UK navy.

@WILD:

Edit:

I hope that the UK actually HAS a navy after G1, unlike in previous ones where they are just left with a single transport

• @Dylan:

Well we do not even know the starting set up, like of who has more ships in the Med and stuff.

Yea but logic would bring you to believe that the UK will not be able to sink the Italian navy rd1 (before Italy’s first turn) as long as Germany kills a few vital UK pieces. I can’t tell from the picture if Sicily or Sardinia will be able to scramble air units to protect the Italian fleet off the Italian coast, but I would hope one of them will.

@calvinhobbesliker:

I hope that the UK actually HAS a navy after G1, unlike in previous ones where they are just left with a single transport

I think Germany will do a number on the UK navy as normal, but w/UK going before Italy I think it will be able to salvage most of the ships in the Med. I’m not sure how well a J1 attack will work in global, so UK should be able to save its Indian fleet too if Japan delays.

• @WILD:

@Dylan:

Yea but logic would bring you to believe that the UK will not be able to sink the Italian navy rd1 (before Italy’s first turn) as long as Germany kills a few vital UK pieces. I can’t tell from the picture if Sicily or Sardinia will be able to scramble air units to protect the Italian fleet off the Italian coast, but I would hope one of them will.

I think Germany will do a number on the UK navy as normal, but w/UK going before Italy I think it will be able to salvage most of the ships in the Med. I’m not sure how well a J1 attack will work in global, so UK should be able to save its Indian fleet too if Japan delays.

Yeah like the other guy said it is more even then other games.

• [quote/] I think Germany will do a number on the UK navy as normal, but w/UK going before Italy I think it will be able to salvage most of the ships in the Med. I’m not sure how well a J1 attack will work in global, so UK should be able to save its Indian fleet too if Japan delays.

Hopefully that is the case. With France and the Balkans not starting in German hands, it is hard for Germnay to attack ships in the Western or Eastern Med, especially given the fact that the Med is now 2 zones tall, it will be harder.

If ftrs start in Greater Southern Germany, and it has an airbase, reaching the southeast med takes 4 moves, and thus they can’t quite make it to Libya. If attacking the Western Med, it looks like 4 spaces, making it impossible. Thus, only bombers in germany can hit British ships(as long as they are all in the bottom half of the Med), and they may be busy with France or the Northern Fleet. Unless Italy starts with an Aircraft Carrier, I think the Med Fleet is safe

• All good points calvinhobbesliker,
    I think it will be a couple of rounds to see how the Med gets sorted out. Both Italy and UK should have opportunities to get control. I still think that Italy will be more concentrated on the Med where UK has a lot of options elsewhere, so it could have an effect on the out come depending how pressed UK is it other areas.

Edit:
    Neither Italy or Germany should start the game w/carrier. They both had one being built, but never got them operational. I think the Graf Zeppelin was close a couple of times, but was stripped in a Hitler rant. The Italians actually got the Aquila carrier near completion and ready to test (w/some machinery from the G Zep), but lost their country before they got to use it.

• @WILD:

All good points calvinhobbesliker,
    I think it will be a couple of rounds to see how the Med gets sorted out. Both Italy and UK should have opportunities to get control. I still think that Italy will be more concentrated on the Med where UK has a lot of options elsewhere, so it could have an effect on the out come depending how pressed UK is it other areas.

Edit:
    Neither Italy or Germany should start the game w/carrier. They both had one being built, but never got them operational. I think the Graf Zeppelin was close a couple of times, but was stripped in a Hitler rant. The Italians actually got the Aquila carrier near completion and ready to test (w/some machinery from the G Zep), but lost their country before they got to use it.

To be honest I think everyone is expecting too much from Britain.

• @Dylan:

To be honest I think everyone is expecting too much from Britain.

Yea, you could be right. UK could be the only major allied power at war for a couple rounds. W/Euro axis pounding on them, they may become pretty weak. Then you turn Jap loose.

• But since they are the only one at war, they must be strong to balance the game

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m