• LOL, fair enough.

Though to be honest, I think the main “sticking point” was the definition of “merge”.

You appear to have been saying it was any linkage of 1 or more ships from both the Med and Baltic.
    JSP and I seem to have been arguing a large number of ships making the link, sicne it really isn;t a fleet merge if it is only 2 ships.

• @jsp4563:

Let’s just back track for a second.  My original post on G2 fleet unification was as follows:

@jsp4563:

G2 fleet unification in SZ7-I have yet to have an opponent pull this off.  As the allied player I can see it coming and no allied player worth his salt would allow it (IMHO) and it is easily countered.

This is based on an “Actual Game”.  Squire wants to claim that it is possible but his strategy for doing so is completely unrealistic in real game play.  What German player is going to forgo an attack on Egypt and the UK med DD allowing the UK Indian fleet to swoop into the Med.  It’s ridiculous.  Squire knows this, that’s why he won’t “Step up to the MIC”.

Libya bid or Algeria/Libya bid combined with Libyan forces and German air mean Anglo-Egypt is lost G1.

With Med fleet taking Gibraltar, UK counter is 1 destr 1 bomber vs 1 btl 1 trns 1 sub.  Caspian Sub papers recommend losing fighter rather than sub for the Med fleet west move.

"And I’d pay money to see JSP and Squire get it on. "

I wouldn’t.  I find aggression distasteful.

I’d pay money to see Jen in a bikini tho.

• @ncscswitch:

LOL, fair enough.

Though to be honest, I think the main “sticking point” was the definition of “merge”.

You appear to have been saying it was any linkage of 1 or more ships from both the Med and Baltic.
    JSP and I seem to have been arguing a large number of ships making the link, sicne it really isn;t a fleet merge if it is only 2 ships.

I think the main sticking point is that you are having two entirely different arguments.

One argument is about merging, and stopping the merge.

The other argument is about merging, and the COST of stopping the merge.

• My only response to that Paint is that… early in the game the Allies have cash to burn, the Axis does not.

• 2007 AAR League

“Upon due consideration of the problem and all possible “options”, my original recommendation stands! Meeting adjourned!”

@jsp4563:

Channel Dash-Waste of a fleet, the UK & US airforces will make mince meat out of it before you can get to the med.

G2 fleet unification in SZ7-I have yet to have an opponent pull this off.  As the allied player I can see it coming and no allied player worth his salt would allow it (IMHO) and it is easily countered.

G1 buy with belo/WR opening no bid. Baltic CV, 3art, 4inf (this is 1 less unit than the 8inf buy but increase your offensive punch from 8 to 13).

• @newpaintbrush:

I’d pay money to see Jen in a bikini tho.

Its in her avatar.

You owe each of us $20.

• 2007 AAR League

We all know that’s fake and that “Jenn” is prolly a 56-year old plumber from Jersey named “Hank” who we’d pay money NOT to see in a bikini.

Oops, off topic.

How’s this for a G1 buy: 8 AA guns. Watch out byotches!

• @froodster:

How’s this for a G1 buy: 8 AA guns. Watch out byotches!

why not 8 tanks? coud this be viable for the germans to do? also what do you think of 4 figs.

• 2007 AAR League

I said 8 AAs because it’s about the only combination that has not been suggested.

I often fantasize about an all-fighter build but usually chicken out. I prefer to build up the luftwaffe slowly, a Ftr every other turn or so. But 4 right off the bat would be interesting, you could really threaten Allied shipping. Might be an effective way to keep the US away from Algeria. But it would be better with an IC in WE, then you’d have the Ftrs in range right away.

How’s this though: 2 Bombers 1 Ftr. That DOES menace any attempt to land in Algeria early on, esp. if the Med fleet moves west. I’d try that for a kick. My guess is you’d see the Allies buy a few more AAs.

• 2 figs and 2 trns and a amr or inf(depending on the bid). talk about scaring the UK.

• 2007 AAR League

At the risk of whipping a dead animal of the equine flavor, I would like to address the German fleet unification issue as well as put my $0.02 in on the “channel dash” option. I am making the distinction because the “channel dash” is moving the baltic fleet toward the Med on G1 and unifying the German fleet in sz7 is not.

First, the Allies don’t have to prevent the German fleets from combining in sz7. As far as I’m concerned, it is in their best interest to let Germany do it to prevent an uneven loss of IPC’s in Germany’s favor. Blocking them on UK1 is much more costly to the Allies should Germany attack the UK fleet. The simple block comes in UK2.

All of this assumes that the bid is 1 arm or 2 inf in Lib, the German sub isn’t lost against the UK BB in sz13, and Russia didn’t kill the Ukr fig.

UK should purchase 1 CV, 1 arm, 3 inf and place the CV in sz8 and move all of their fleet to sz8 as well, landing the E Can arm in UK on the way. The bomber can be used to retake Egypt since it is likely that there will only be 1 or 2 German units remaining. The UK DD in sz15 will move to sz14 to prevent the German Med fleet from turning back to help in an Egypt attack on G2.

US should purchase 1 CV, 2 TP, 2 arm and transport 2 inf, 1 art, 1 arm to sz8 unloading in UK. Land the W US fig on the UK CV. move 2 inf from C US to E US, and move the E US bmb/fig to UK.

Russia will move the SS to sz8 on R2.

If Germany attacks the sz8 fleet (1 CV, 1 fig, 1 BB, 1 DD, 1 SS, 4 TP) with the Med fleet and aircraft (1 BB, 1 SS, 1 TP, 6 fig, 1 bmb) it will cost them half their airforce and leave the BB isolated. With the Russians bearing down on them losing a bunch of fighters will be devastating to Germany.

Attacking UK is also a bad idea. 1 BB, 5 inf, 5 arm, 6 fig, 1 bmb vs. 7 inf, 2 art, 4 arm, 3 fig, 1 bmb, 1 AA is approximately a 35%-40% win.

At that point, unifying the fleet is useless because Germany’s navy will be hopelessly outclassed with the addition of the US CV, DD, 2 TP from sz10, the Hawaiian fig, and whatever navy the UK buys in UK2. London will also be safe with the extra 2 inf, 2 arm the US lands on US2.

The block of the German fleet comes from moving the UK DD from sz14 to sz12 which will prevent a German landing in E Can or Brazil. Even if Germany manages to kill the DD without a loss in G2 and combines their fleet in sz7 the UK can place a SS in sz7 to prevent the German TP’s from loading and still have 19-22 IPC’s(+/- India income) to build more navy in sz8.

Seems a little risky for Germany even with maximum forces available let alone if they lose the Ukr fighter or a sub. I wouldn’t try it but if you can make it work, more power to you.

The Channel Dash move, in my opinion, requires a bid in Lib and a naval purchase in the Med. My preference is a CV/TP. If you can get away with it, the SS from sz8 should be combined with the baltic fleet in sz7 instead of helping attack the BB in sz13 but that depends on how many fighters will be needed in Europe on G1. The goal is to have 2-3 fig in WE, 2 fig on the CV, and 1 fig, 1 bmb in Lib after Non-com. It allows for massive attack pressure on sz12 if the Allies land in Algeria and all fighters available for attack in Europe if they don’t.

If the Uk attacks sz7 with air only, you have the option of submerging the subs or fighting it out depending on how many hits the UK scores in round 1. And if they attack with the BB and TP’s, as well, you probably will kill at least a TP on round 1 and submerging the subs will give you an attack force of 1-3 SS, 5-6 fighters, and 1 bmb against whatever is left, plus UK builds, on G2. I don’t mind losing some fighters in that counterattack because the door to Africa will be wide open and the UK has a lot of rebuilding to do before you would see UK ground units in Europe.

Another benefit is that by forcing an attack on sz7 instead of sz5, the UK bomber can’t reach Sink to threaten unprotected Japanese TP’s in sz60/61. A rarely used move but it’s a real pain in the ass to Japan.

Lastly, the CV/TP in the Med is a safety valve. In case the attack on Egypt goes horribly wrong, you aren’t necessarily dead in Africa. Even if the Egyptian fighter survives, an attack on the CV fleet by 1 bmb, 2 fig, 1 DD is only a 50/50 battle. And if the UK should reinforce Egypt and load up in sz15 instead, Germany has enough available forces to destroy both with likely an acceptable amount of losses. Either way, you still have access to Africa and the UK will be basically defanged in Asia and the Pacific. Japan should be happy about that.

So far the Channel Dash has served me well enough to abandon the CV build in the baltic but it’s still a work in progress so I can’t assume it’s viable.

• 2007 AAR League

I like it. U-505s plan, that is.

• I have to say I disagree with U505 on several points, but the only ones I’ll mention specifically are economics and the German airforce.

I disagree that the $ trade favors the Axis with a preemptive strike.  The boats are a sunk cost; they are there to suicide the Allies or board UK immediately.  There is no point talking about them like a long term asset.  If you can sink a few transports when they die, you’re pretty happy.

The Germans also have the option of pulling back from a naval assault.  And why would you ever leave a lone btl instead of saving German planes?

Any time the UK buys a carrier R1 I’m happy as an Axis player.  I would consider the unification threat forcing that buy to be an immediate benefit to my game.

Why is that?  Because if the carrier is a defensive purchase, you don’t need it until R2.  You would be better served building tra in Z02 R1, then moving up and landing troops R2 and building the carrier in your drop off zone.

Peace

• 2007 AAR League

If you dash for SZ7 with the extra sub, You’re more likely to have 2-3 subs survive a UK attack. With the Med BB and TRN off Gibraltar and a bunch of Luftwaffe in WE / Libya, SZ 7 and SZ 12 become pretty inhospitable to the allies. In my tourney game against Sime I found control of the Mediterranean pretty key to my Axis victory.

As has been pointed out, the Baltic fleet is dead meat. With U-505’s plan you could end up with a Med fleet of 3 Subs 1 AC 1 BB 2 TRN. As has been said though, it has to be tested against a skilled opponent to see how it really works.

• 2007 AAR League

Sorry U-505, but I have to disagree with you on the “Channel Dash”.  It’s doubtful that you would make it to the med with just the Baltic Fleet, the addition of the sz8 sub still makes it an iffy proposition. If you do make it to the Med it’s likely you’d do so with 1SS.  That sub could have went to the med anyway with the BB, TP attack on sz13.  All you have accomplished is the destruction of the Baltic fleet, and you’ve left your Northern flank exposed.

• Purpose of ther Baltic Fleet:
    Take out as many Allied units as possible as it dies.

That is it folks.  Trying for anything else is a waste of resources for Germany

• 2007 AAR League

I’d like to try hashing this out - we can play to the end of round 2 or 3, just to see how it works out in terms of fleet unification. I’ll take a bid of 7 to Libya, and I assume the Allies will post Russia 1 as if you had no clue of what Germany would be doing.

JSP? Any other takers? I’m not out to prove anything, I just want to play it out and see what happens.

• 2007 AAR League

Just read the CSub paper on this - it suggests building two or three transports in the baltic as the best German naval option. It sounds sensible as do most strategies when I read them, and now it seems better than U-505s plan. The transports create a lot of options for Germany which it can take advantage of if the unification is blocked.

• 2007 AAR League

@froodster:

I’d like to try hashing this out - we can play to the end of round 2 or 3, just to see how it works out in terms of fleet unification. I’ll take a bid of 7 to Libya, and I assume the Allies will post Russia 1 as if you had no clue of what Germany would be doing.

JSP? Any other takers? I’m not out to prove anything, I just want to play it out and see what happens.

Sure, I think this needs to be fleshed out in a real game.  Give me a couple of days to wind down my current games.  The strategy is based on no bid with a Russian Belo/WR open.

• 2007 AAR League

My bad. I was assuming a CV, 3 TP buy which is what I believe was mentioned earlier in the thread and not just 3 TP. In that case, I would buy 1 CV, 1 fig, 1 inf for the UK and put the Russian SS in sz12 to keep the Med fleet from participating in a UK landing. Either way, I still prefer that the German fleet be allowed to unify for nothing while I build up the overwhelming Allied force to oppose it.

And a German buy of 3 TP’s in the Baltic makes me happy as the Allies. We can both be dismissive of each others purchases that way. I like the CV UK1 because it extends my fighter range to sz13 just for fun. Unifying the German fleets means Africa is lost for good. I can accept that.

Actually, I believe we are looking at this from 2 slightly different perspectives, Crazystraw. I am playing for the long term and you are playing for the short term because of the FTF Tournament time limits. We have to make that distinction to everyone because it can be relevant. My strategy can be a little slower and more plodding because I don’t suffer from a time window.

Et Tu, jsp. My tourney partner. The wound cuts deep.  :lol:

The likely result is 2 SS making it to the Med. But that isn’t necessarily the point. I’m not afraid of losing the Baltic fleet. I can just turn back and hit Egypt. However, with the addition of the sz8 SS it makes an air only attack a 50/50 shot. I get to see the attacking results before I defend so I can choose my options. And how often will the UK score only 1 hit or goose egg the 1st round? Maybe 1/3th of the time. 1 bmb, 1 fig vs 1 DD, 1 TP, 2 SS looks real ulgy for the UK and, at that point, he’s committed to that battle because letting me sail into the Med with that group is bad juju for the Allies. I guarantee you that every UK player is going to cringe when the first round is rolled. I’ll take the 40% win rate for that battle and even the 50% cleared result. It won’t bother me nearly as much as it would bother the UK player.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m