Oztea's global41 setup pictures

• '17 '16 '15

@vonLettowVorbeck1914:

I’ve been talking with Ice on TripleA and have been helping him with a separate module of the game rather than having it be a Global 1940 savegame.

What’s the word on those chinese infantry?

what is the status of the module?

• @barney:

@vonLettowVorbeck1914:

I’ve been talking with Ice on TripleA and have been helping him with a separate module of the game rather than having it be a Global 1940 savegame.

What’s the word on those chinese infantry?

what is the status of the module?

Thanks for the reminder, I should have reported earlier.

It looks like Global took a lot of back doors in programming because it is so different from the original rules TripleA was designed with. The triggers are far beyond what ice said he was comfortable in tackling. It would not be worth it to put all that effort forth it seems since the savegame suffices for everything except for the Chinese AA gun (which is brit in the game), but since they go consecutively and the unit cannot move in combat move, it hardly matters from a gameplay perspective, although I suppose it could move out of China.

• I think the Russian pac destroyer is very annoying and unnecessary. All it’s ever used for is blocking Japanese ships on J1, which strikes me as a consequence we don’t want and one that is very ahistorical.

Also, what are some counters for when USA buys all transports round 1 and then lands 10 transports on gib/morocco turn 2? 20 land units ready to go to West Germany, Norway, S. France, Normandy, or S italy without 2 blocks is not something I think the Axis can reasonably be ready for while still being expected to fight a Russia with easy access to the middle east on their first turn. There are just too many places USA can land and never be removed from, and it occurs way too early. I don’t see Japan winning fast enough in this scenario.

• You buy 10 Atlantic transports as the US and you are going to lose Hawaii. If German airpower is coordinated well still those boats will be TOAST if they go anywhere in the north Atlantic. A good german player doesn’t cram his aircraft down russias throat, use them to keep allied boats away from your coasts.

Italy does also start with a bomber, and germany starts with 2. Bomb the naval base at Gibraltar and those US transports can reach much less coastline.
    Not only that but the US can only buy 7 transports on US1 (not 10) so it will have a total of 8 transports, protected by 2 DD and a Cruiser, and whatever UK stuff has survived.
    Theoretically you could go for Norway like a cannonball with the US, but if you don’t play honest Japan has enough material that it will dominate the pacific at light speed without US intervention.

The soviet pac destroyer can only block if the Soviets declare war on Japan (throwing away the Mongolia bonus) And where and how it can block are VERY limited on J1. It will be annihilated wherever it goes if it angers Japan. Its purpose is to prevent shore bombardments on Amur on Japans turns, which makes that battle just a little bit harder.

• Maybe it was changed, but the declaration doesn’t throw away the mongolian bonus last I checked. Only movement into the specified territories does, DOW regardless. What the Soviet destroyer blocks is SZ 6 units from going to Pearl. It seems like the best way to prevent the US from getting 10 trns to gibraltar would be to take Hawaii, but the DD prevents that, not that it was a super move anyways.

The combined US/UK fleets gave Germany 0 chance of attacking the American fleet. Gibraltar was stacked with ftrs, so bombing was not a realistic option either. Allies had 1 BB, 2 CA, 1 CV, 1 Ftr, 3 DD, 2 sub, +3 scrambles. They could have had more brit ships if they wanted.

US moved 2 transports from the pac to 89 US 1, that’s how they got 10 by Gibraltar US 2.

Maybe if Japan doesn’t head south, and then waits for the US to buy the trns, they can take hawaii, but Japan was not able to challenge Hawaii J2 or 3, even though the US moved 1 carrier to 89. That would then mean of course Japan can’t get rich as fast. However, Japan would need quite a lot to take hawaii anyways, since the US had 2 inf 1 mech 1 art 1 aa 2 ftr 3 tac (2 more ftr if ANZAC sends 2). Navally, they had 3 CA, 4 DD, 3 Sub, 1 CV, 2 ftr (including Anzac) and of course there are three scrambles on top of that, and USA can block instead/too. How, other than starting in Algeria, are German planes going to even get to 91?

After US moves to 91,  they buy pretty much all Pac US 2 onward until their defense is golden. ANZAC starts out with a lot more than it seems, and buys defensively. Japan doesn’t have a prayer of winning before US defends the pac while it creates major headaches in Europe, delaying the success of Barbarossa and forcing Italy to go very defensive. If Japan is in a position to take Pearl J2 with this US buy, then it seems they are not at all in a position to do much of anything else, especially get income down South.

IMO USA starts out with far, far too many land units.

• The russian destroyer cant block on J1 because you have to declare war at the start of your turn (ussr). If it does declare war then it can’t move through sz 6 because those units become hostile.

Stopping a US mega transport move involves leaving german airpower in Normandy/Bordeux and building some subs on G2. (are you bombing London on G1 and putting 20 damage on that factory?)

If you see the US buy all transports germany could theoretically buy 9 subs and place them in multiple locations to hit 91 (if you kill the UK DDs on turn 1 they will have trouble blocking you.)
    3 subs at south france, 3 subs at normandy, 3 subs at west Germany.

I know these arent the best options but i’ll think of more.
    I still feel a rush to war for the US in Europe jeopardizes a quick pacific win for japan.

• Also, how did Gibraltar have 3 scrambles? It doesn’t start with an AB so if the UK is dropping 15 like that it is going to lose Egypt, or it is making itself ripe for a midgame sealion (if London has 20 damage on G2 get ballsy and build transports, uk will only be able to react with a few units during its build, like 3 or 4 infantry)

• I see the problem now. Germany needs an airbase at Normandy (which I have long considered adding) so it can attack 91 with airpower and land in ALGERIA. Thats how you put the screws to the allied fleet in 91.

• And I was wrong about the Soviet DD, it can get to 16 and be annoying. Either a house rule that if the DD moves Russia loses the Monglian bonus, or move one of the starting Japanese destroyers in sz6 or sz 25 to 16……which is under consideration.

• '17 '16 '15

what about limiting the russian destroyer to home waters no matter the war conditions?

• It would be easier to just remove it.
    The no special rules route is just to move a japanese destroyer over to block.

• '17 '16 '15

yea it would  but it could still do shore bombardment disruption which was it’s purpose

hey I’ve played a little more the last couple weeks and you’ve got a good thing going

• As to how to stop the US from hitting europe with 10 transports, on G2 build an airbase for Normandy and 6 subs.

If you played cautiously on G1 and still have all your starting air units, send them all to Normandy and you can hit 91 with a pretty bulky force. 6 subs, 6 fighters, 4 tacs, 2 bombers. Perhaps more depending on the situation.

Also being considered is removing the starting US east coast transport to slow them down a tad. OR a special rule that US factories become major at the end of the US turn,not the start. Two less transports

Im still not convinced the US rush ro europe doesn’t spell doom for India and Australia.

• @oztea:

Stopping a US mega transport move involves leaving german airpower in Normandy/Bordeux and building some subs on G2. (are you bombing London on G1 and putting 20 damage on that factory?)

If you see the US buy all transports germany could theoretically buy 9 subs and place them in multiple locations to hit 91 (if you kill the UK DDs on turn 1 they will have trouble blocking you.)
    3 subs at south france, 3 subs at normandy, 3 subs at west Germany.

I know these arent the best options but i’ll think of more.
    I still feel a rush to war for the US in Europe jeopardizes a quick pacific win for japan.

Yeah the block in 16 was what I was talking about. Maybe a Russian sub would be better, it’s still something, although it doesn’t block bombard. It sucks that whatever cancels bombardment also blocks movement.

Germany used its bombers to take out the UK ships in the med, so maybe it could bomb England instead, although it seems that Italy really needs the med. help. That is definitely something to try.

Normandy was the first place I thought of to stack the German planes, but it seems like Germany is too strapped for cash to build an Airbase. Note that UK has a pretty good shot of attacking Algeria UK2 if one of their trns survives UK 1.

A US DD in 104 can block at least 6 of those German subs, and I don’t like the idea of spending that much money on subs when there is Russia to deal with.

UK did spend 15 on a gib AB. They didn’t try too hard on holding Egypt, since Japan was going india crush anyways UK took a couple trns over from there. They retreated at one point rather than trying to hold it.

With the US move to gib, it seems like Sealion is totally trumped at that point. Germany needs subs to actually threaten the US navy, and transports to threaten sealion. I am not convinced they can get close to enough of both on G2. Germany would have spent quite a lot of money to hold London for just one turn if they go trn route, IMO.

I think adding the AB to Normandy (especially if you were already wanting to and with the swing of 6 inf in allied favor in china) wouldn’t be too much. Still beware that the Axis has to defend Algeria so it is still axis by G3.

It’s possible that the Japanese destroyer could be killed by the russian one in 16, but a Japanese DD in 7 would block the Russian.

It makes sense to me that if the US does this buy and move then Japan should win before US can do its pac offensive, but I really don’t see that being the case. ANZAC and US are solid enough defensively to have 1 round of buys and 1 carrier go East, it seems. Of course, Japan’s options have been far from exhausted when the US does this, but to me it seems the best general Japanese strat is to get rich by going south and getting India, both ASAP. If Japan preps for Honolulu instead, anticipating the 7 trn buy, then of course US can change its buy and Japan would be miserably out of position for the DEI and India.

I’m still not entirely sure that the Germans can attack the Allied navy in 91 without devastating losses on their part. What would you buy G1 anticipating this US move, and what would you do with your starting Baltic ships?

This is the first time my group has been stumped to find any counter to a strat in your game, so even if there is something that needs to be changed (maybe Japan just needs to respond better, IDK), don’t get discouraged. It still is a lot more fun for me than 1940, honestly.

• Whoops, just saw your most recent post.

One thing to keep in mind is that US shifted probably 85% to pac after doing this move. India is doomed, sure, but ANZAC the whole time was focused on defense. They were rock solid by the time India fell (J4 I think it was last game(?))

Remember for the navy that a blocker in 104 (or even 110) can  muddy things up for the Germans, and a UK blocker in 92 needs to be taken out by Italy. Can the Italians be counted on to take out both blockers? I am not sure.

6 ftr, 4 tac, 2 bmb + at least 3 subs (maybe 6). When I have time in an hour or two I will check what the Allies have. Keep in mind the 64 BB/DD came over too.

• To me it seems the problem, if there is one, is that the US has too many land units too early. If a bunch of infantry were changed to mechs, that would help out a lot I think.

• The US starts with so many land units to offset the cost of catching up to other powers with more units on the board, and that the US has to buy transports just to play the game.

In all honesty id rather chop off a bunch of US units and just give them a bigger homeland bonus (10 more per turn) but I want this to just be a setup not a house rules bonanza.

• @oztea:

The US starts with so many land units to offset the cost of catching up to other powers with more units on the board, and that the US has to buy transports just to play the game.

In all honesty id rather chop off a bunch of US units and just give them a bigger homeland bonus (10 more per turn) but I want this to just be a setup not a house rules bonanza.

I think maybe the US should have to buy a few land units; they can start out their 2nd turn filling 10 transports without buying a single land unit and still have some left over.

Yeah, if there are rules changes that pretty much kills the growth this setup is is having on TripleA right now. With the exception of the chinese AA gun, this setup works 100% perfectly in the Global 2e module. I get a few games hosted, and people are checking it out, but for the sake of growth on TripleA, if you do make changes, please have them be setup.

• Well since mech infantry are near useless, there is nothing I can swap US units for that provides them insulation against the fact that they will be in a spending ditch.
    Unless I make their navy/airforce way bigger and reduce their land units dramatically. But that just means the US will cruise this giant blob of boats to 91 and dominate the med too quickly.

Id rather have the US make a risky 10 transport move into the bees nest of German planes and subs.
    An airbase in Holland or Normandy and perhaps another tactical bomber for Germany in Libya.
    Id hate to just make Germany stronger to solve this (even though a tac and an airbase aren’t really too much of a boost)

• @oztea:

Well since mech infantry are near useless, there is nothing I can swap US units for that provides them insulation against the fact that they will be in a spending ditch.
    Unless I make their navy/airforce way bigger and reduce their land units dramatically. But that just means the US will cruise this giant blob of boats to 91 and dominate the med too quickly.

Id rather have the US make a risky 10 transport move into the bees nest of German planes and subs.
    An airbase in Holland or Normandy and perhaps another tactical bomber for Germany in Libya.
    Id hate to just make Germany stronger to solve this (even though a tac and an airbase aren’t really too much of a boost)

Well, I think you were on to something with the removal of the US trn off of E USA. Maybe move one transport from 10 and 2 land units to the line islands or something.

1 more tac and 1 AB for Germany doesn’t devastate things. You might want to make sure the tac can’t reach the 98 fleet though.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m