Re: Field Marshal Games Pieces Project Discussion thread

• @dinosaur:

@reloader-1:

Love all the pics.

When do we get self-propelled artillery as well  :wink:

That’s really pretty lame.  Can’t you just move them yourself?  Where in the heck is he gonna find tiny little motors like that?   :lol:

Chuck Norris wouldn’t need tiny game pieces.

Remember WW II? That was Chuck Norris playing axis & allies.

But lame ‘jokes’ aside, the FMG pieces look awesome :lol:

• seriously fmg if you made a game 1 trillionth of the quality of these pieces it would be great no amazing

• These game pieces are in a class of their own and quite clearly do not belong on the same game board as the WOTC pieces. Anybody who argued that the FMG Germans should be black, or that FMG shouldn’t make a Bismarck/Panther/ME-109 sculpt so that the pieces would tie in with or expand the WOTC offering must realize their arguments were silly.

• @WOPR:

These game pieces are in a class of their own and quite clearly do not belong on the same game board as the WOTC pieces. Anybody who argued that the FMG Germans should be black, or that FMG shouldn’t make a Bismarck/Panther/ME-109 sculpt so that the pieces would tie in with or expand the WOTC offering must realize their arguments were silly.

Indeed. But I’m still hoping for an FW-190 Fighter for the Germans, since I like the design better than the Me-109.

• Customizer

@Raeder:

@WOPR:

These game pieces are in a class of their own and quite clearly do not belong on the same game board as the WOTC pieces. Anybody who argued that the FMG Germans should be black, or that FMG shouldn’t make a Bismarck/Panther/ME-109 sculpt so that the pieces would tie in with or expand the WOTC offering must realize their arguments were silly.

Indeed. But I’m still hoping for an FW-190 Fighter for the Germans, since I like the design better than the Me-109.

While I agree with you that they should stick with the Bismarck for the German battleship, I MUST disagree with you on the color choice.  I want the FMG German pieces to be black so I can use both them and the WOTC pieces.  Yes, I realize the FMG pieces are higher quality but they are also planning on using different models from the WOTC pieces for more variety.  For example, they have already stated that the German armor #1 is going to be the Panzer III.  The second will probably be a Tiger I or a SPG and NOT the Panther.  Therefore, if they are all black, I can use all three armor types.  While the WOTC pieces are not as nice as the FMG pieces, they still look very nice and since they will be different models I don’t think the quality difference will be that noticable.

If the pieces were all gray, the FMG Germans would end up looking like WOTC ANZAC units.

• Customizer

By the way, I understand FMG is making Germans in both gray and black so we all can get what we want.  If you just want the FMG pieces by themselves, then you can get the gray Germans.  If you want to combine FMG and WOTC pieces, then you can get the black Germans.

Just curious, for those of you who intend on getting the gray Germans and not using your WOTC pieces, what are you going to do with the WOTC pieces you already have?

• I’ll buy any and all sets of WotC pieces at $6 a set :-)

I agree with the last poster - I like that we can combine armies from FMG and WotC. Otherwise, we are back were we started.

• @knp7765:

While I agree with you that they should stick with the Bismarck for the German battleship, I MUST disagree with you on the color choice.  I want the FMG German pieces to be black so I can use both them and the WOTC pieces.

You should not do that.

@knp7765:

Yes, I realize the FMG pieces are higher quality but they are also planning on using different models from the WOTC pieces for more variety.

If FMG is doing that’ it’s only because people on these boards have convinced them to do so. Which is sad because the WOTC pieces will stick out like a sore thumb. If you don’t care about the quality of the models on your game board, it’s curious why you’re buying the FMG pieces at all?

In my not so humble opinion, the FMG pieces should not be viewed as an “expansion” but rather a replacement for the WOTC pieces.

@knp7765:

For example, they have already stated that the German armor #1 is going to be the Panzer III.  The second will probably be a Tiger I or a SPG and NOT the Panther. Therefore, if they are all black, I can use all three armor types.

I said Panther just for arguments sake. I’ll be happy if the Germans get the Panzer III and Tiger I but not so that I can use the WOTC Panther for more variety. Rather, because the Panzer III and Tiger I are simply the best choices to begin with. As far as using all three armor types goes, I’ll wait for a future FMG expansion to get my Panther. If a Panther’s turret doesn’t turn, it won’t be going anywhere near my game board. FMG has raised the bar.

@knp7765:

While the WOTC pieces are not as nice as the FMG pieces, they still look very nice and since they will be different models I don’t think the quality difference will be that noticable.

Yeah, the WOTC pieces look “nice” but like I said the FMG pieces are in a class of their own. If you plan on mixing and matching shudder then I can understand why you want black Germans. The black will suck the detail out of the FMG models so you’re right, the quality difference will not be as noticeable. At least not for the Germans. The other powers are another matter entirely. Only a chimp would choose black for such small and detailed models because shadows are imperceptible on a black canvas.

@knp7765:

If the pieces were all gray, the FMG Germans would end up looking like WOTC ANZAC units.

Only if you insist on combining the pieces on your board which you simply should not do. Again, the FMG pieces should not be viewed as an expansion but rather a replacement for the WOTC pieces.

@knp7765:

By the way, I understand FMG is making Germans in both gray and black so we all can get what we want.  If you just want the FMG pieces by themselves, then you can get the gray Germans.  If you want to combine FMG and WOTC pieces, then you can get the black Germans.

Yes, I know this. FMG wants to do what’s right and make the Germans gray but they also have to appease those who want to combine the pieces.

@knp7765:

Just curious, for those of you who intend on getting the gray Germans and not using your WOTC pieces, what are you going to do with the WOTC pieces you already have?

The same thing I do with everything else I’ve replaced with something new and improved: Sell it, pitch it, or give it away.

@reloader-1:

I agree with the last poster - I like that we can combine armies from FMG and WotC. Otherwise, we are back were we started.

No we’re not. The future is beautiful WWII scale models by FMG. Now we have game pieces in the hands of someone who cares and not chimps!

• Hey WOPR,
    If you choose not to use your WOTC pieces anymore thats fine, but many people on this forum, including myself will want to combine both sets for maximum capablities. if FMG doesnt offer GERMANY in black as an option, I would really have to reconsider if I want to purchese all these pieces to reconfigure my present game. Im kind of sick of spraypainting whole sets of pieces.

• @lnmajor:

Hey WOPR,
    If you choose not to use your WOTC pieces anymore thats fine, but many people on this forum, including myself will want to combine both sets for maximum capablities. if FMG doesnt offer GERMANY in black as an option, I would really have to reconsider if I want to purchese all these pieces to reconfigure my present game. Im kind of sick of spraypainting whole sets of pieces.

The color debate has been settled so there’s no need for ifs. FMG has already decided to do Germany in black and gray.

Just kind of in disbelief that some of you guys WANT to combine the pieces. It’s seems completely wrong to me.

• yah i wanted the pzIII for as long as i had a board game about ww2 yah!

• fmg witch guns did you use for the Italian infantry.

• Since I started playing 2nd Edition I have always wanted more classes of units. FMG is providing that. Are his pieces (specifically tanks) better detailed? Yes. Are they THAT different? No. I compare ships, airplanes, inf and they look the same to me. Are you telling me his artillery pieces is SO detailed that I can’t possibly place it on my board next to an 88?

Methinks not.

• Customizer

You said it reloader.  True, the earlier ships from the Revised through Anniversary editions did look a little crappy.  However, with the new sculpts in the 1942 edition onward, the WOTC ships look very nice.  They might be a little less detailed than the FMG pieces, but it won’t be such a big difference that they still can’t work well together.

Unnecessary bait. first warning. - GG

First of all, I would point out that the board is ALSO from WOTC, unless you have figured some way around that.  Okay, I know we are all permitted to have our own opinion and obviously it will be YOUR money that is being used to buy FMG pieces and dispose of perfectly good WOTC pieces.  Just like it is MY money that will also buy FMG pieces and gloriously be throwing them together with the WOTC pieces.  I usually separate my pieces by unit, but I might just throw them all in a big bag and mix them together just for kicks.  OH THE HORROR!!!

Well, it’s a good thing that FMG decided to do both colors so as to appease both the elite separatists like yourself AND all of us infidels who dare to mix them.  One thing though, since WOTC has come out with the Stuka, I am assuming that FMG will use a different plane as a tac bomber, perhaps the Me 110.  If you are going to dispose of your WOTC pieces, then you are simply doing without the Stuka?  One thing that has prevailed in these discussions is using models that were “iconic”.  Well, the Stuka is about as Iconic as you can get for WW2 German aircraft.  Most anyone who is familiar with WW2 knows the Stuka.  Heck, WOTC even used them as fighters in the Revised edition because that plane is so well known.  Frankly, I think doing without it is plain silly.

By the way, you shouldn’t just throw out the WOTC pieces, even if you don’t like them.  List them on eBay.  A while back I had way too many pieces so I pulled out what I wanted and listed the rest on eBay and they did quite well.  My listing of tanks alone got me over $60.  Or, you could problably sell them to someone right here on the A&A Forum.  Then you could use that money to buy more FMG pieces.  I just hate to see good game pieces go to waste.

• For the Stuka problem another plane Henschel Hs 129

• @knp7765:

Well, it’s a good thing that FMG decided to do both colors so as to appease both the elite separatists like yourself AND all of us infidels who dare to mix them.  One thing though, since WOTC has come out with the Stuka, I am assuming that FMG will use a different plane as a tac bomber, perhaps the Me 110.  If you are going to dispose of your WOTC pieces, then you are simply doing without the Stuka?  One thing that has prevailed in these discussions is using models that were “iconic”.  Well, the Stuka is about as Iconic as you can get for WW2 German aircraft.  Most anyone who is familiar with WW2 knows the Stuka.  Heck, WOTC even used them as fighters in the Revised edition because that plane is so well known.  Frankly, I think doing without it is plain silly.

Hell, everything about the jerries in WW2 is iconic. The Tiger 1, the Flak 88, the Stuka, the very recognisable helmets of the german soldiers, the Panzer IV, the He 111 and Ju 88 bombers, the Bismarck, and so on…

God I love the german units  :-D

• Customizer

Hell, everything about the jerries in WW2 is iconic. The Tiger 1, the Flak 88, the Stuka, the very recognisable helmets of the german soldiers, the Panzer IV, the He 111 and Ju 88 bombers, the Bismarck, and so on…

Yeah, you have a point there.  Most German equipment was very unique and probably easily recognizable from any other country’s forces.
    By the way, have you ever seen footage of Chinese troops preparing defenses and getting ready for the Japanese?  In some of them, they are wearing German helmets.  I read somewhere that back before Japan was a member of the Axis with Germany, perhaps before Japan even attacked China, there were actually German military advisors in China for a short while and one of the things the Chinese got was the adaptation of the German helmets for their own troops.  It just looks weird seeing all these Chinese soldiers forming up wearing German helmets.

• @knp7765:

Yeah, you have a point there.  Most German equipment was very unique and probably easily recognizable from any other country’s forces.
    By the way, have you ever seen footage of Chinese troops preparing defenses and getting ready for the Japanese?  In some of them, they are wearing German helmets.  I read somewhere that back before Japan was a member of the Axis with Germany, perhaps before Japan even attacked China, there were actually German military advisors in China for a short while and one of the things the Chinese got was the adaptation of the German helmets for their own troops.  It just looks weird seeing all these Chinese soldiers forming up wearing German helmets.

Some of the Finnish troops used German helmets as well. But then the Finns used a lot of German equipment. And they were allies to.

• Customizer

Yeah, the Finns even used the Swastika symbol on their military equipment, except it was light blue and in a square shape with the flat edges on top and bottom rather than diamond shape with the corners on top and bottom.

• True about the Finnish version of twisted cross.They had used their version for quite a while.I think it was the personnal family emblem of one of Finlands early supporters(Rosen?).
    It was also used by native Americans,among others.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m