• @Brain:

Settlers is a good family game. I think your wife may like it.

I got about twenty Catan matched under my belt, the game rocks. It’s our favorite game.

• My oldest son and I played a 2 player game tonight using the 2 player rules from Traders and Barbarians expansion. It can get intense at times which is a good thing. He said he didn’t want to play again because he lost and because he didn’t like it. Then right before he went to bed he asked me to get the board set up again so we can play tomorrow after school. I am going to try and get my youngest son to join us for a 3 player game which I think will make for a better game. I did mess up one rule, the distance rule, but figured our first time through it mistakes will be made. I will remember it for the next game. So far after the first game I am liking it and thinking of which expansion to get next. Any suggestions?

• I haven’t played using the expansions yet. I think a lot of people use the Knights of Catan expansion.

• @Brain:

I haven’t played using the expansions yet. I think a lot of people use the Knights of Catan expansion.

Cities and Knights?
    I found a set of rules for Super Catan at BGG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/526788/super-catan-settlers-with-all-three-big-expansions
    This looks like it would be a good way to tie in the 3 big expansions with the base game.

• @skinny1:

Cities and Knights?

Yeah, that must be it.

• My wife played this with me and my oldest son tonight. After the game was over she said she was trying to figure out what she was supposed to do then about the third turn she knew what to do and had a good time with it. My son ended up winning this time so he is back to being happy and wanting to play again. This was me and my 13 year olds 3rd game and 1st as a 3 player. It can get real frustrating when dice rolls don’t produce any resources for the person rolling the dice. One thing that I forgot was when rolling a 7 and activating the robber we did not reduce the number of resource cards in half before stealing one from another player. My son and wife had handfuls of cards and I think that had I remembered the complete robber rule things might have ended differently. I think that the first expansion that I get will be Seafarers. Then on to Cities and Knights and then Traders and Barbarians. My 11 year old still thinks it looks complicated and won’t try it but his mom told him that if she can pick it up then he can too. I told him it is a lot easier to learn than AA but about the same difficulty as Memoir 44, which he has played both. I hope he changes his mind and decides to play. I could get a 3 player game in almost every day starting next week if he decides to learn it. All in all the base Settlers of Catan is a great game and I am really enjoying it. Could this game finally tip the scale in my decision to sell more of my Axis and Allies games that I do not play?

• We got a 4 player game in tonight. A lot harder to play with 4. Less space to build on. I won finally by building the longest road and getting the final 2 points needed for 10 victory points. My youngest son played finally. I had him watch the Dice Tower review by Tom Vassal and since his mom played again he decided to join us. I don’t think he really understood that he has to branch out with roads and build settlements and cities because he kept buying development cards and did end up getting some victory points through those and also by getting the largest army card. I definitely can’t wait to get an expansion for Settlers of Catan and add some variety to it.

Oh, and my wife actually talked to people at work about Settlers of Catan. She must have liked it more than she told me. :)

• Whenever a player’s roads are all one the board is road building finished? I had a two link gap from closing one-third of the board up, I ran out of road links.

• @ABWorsham:

Whenever a player’s roads are all one the board is road building finished? I had a two link gap from closing one-third of the board up, I ran out of road links.

The rule book says you start with 15 road pieces, no more and no less. So if you have all of your road pieces on the board then you cannot build any more roads. I have not run out of road pieces yet before the game was over. I have played about 7 games so far between 2, 3 and 4 player games in the less than a week that I have had this game. I bought it to try and get my wife to play a game with me and the boys, something other than the big box store games like UNO, poker, Monopoly, Life, etc. and she has not turned down a game of Settlers of Catan after she played the first time. I might not be getting any Axis and Allies, Conflict of Heroes, Tide of Iron, Memoir 44 with it’s expansions or ASL Starter Kit games to the table any more. My oldest son says that he likes Catan better than my WWII based games and thinks that we need to get the expansion Cities and Knights for Catan. Looks like I might have some WWII based games to sell to feed the Catan monster that I have started at my house and I don’t know how I feel about that. I like that all of us are playing but I also like my WWII games.

• @skinny1:

@ABWorsham:

Whenever a player’s roads are all one the board is road building finished? I had a two link gap from closing one-third of the board up, I ran out of road links.

The rule book says you start with 15 road pieces, no more and no less. So if you have all of your road pieces on the board then you cannot build any more roads. I have not run out of road pieces yet before the game was over. I have played about 7 games so far between 2, 3 and 4 player games in the less than a week that I have had this game. I bought it to try and get my wife to play a game with me and the boys, something other than the big box store games like UNO, poker, Monopoly, Life, etc. and she has not turned down a game of Settlers of Catan after she played the first time. I might not be getting any Axis and Allies, Conflict of Heroes, Tide of Iron, Memoir 44 with it’s expansions or ASL Starter Kit games to the table any more. My oldest son says that he likes Catan better than my WWII based games and thinks that we need to get the expansion Cities and Knights for Catan. Looks like I might have some WWII based games to sell to feed the Catan monster that I have started at my house and I don’t know how I feel about that. I like that all of us are playing but I also like my WWII games.

My wife enjoys playing Catan also.

• Ok, I have purchased the 5-6 play expansion for Catan. What further upgrades do you guys suggest?

• @ABWorsham:

Ok, I have purchased the 5-6 play expansion for Catan. What further upgrades do you guys suggest?

Here is a link to a forum on BGG that discusses that:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/528260/monster-called-settlers-of-catan

• @skinny1:

@Brain:

Buy the connect hex from FMG.

http://www.fieldmarshalgames.com/field-marshal-games-accesories/field-marshal-connect-hex-for-settlers-of-catan.html

They are out of stock.

Send him a PM.

• I picked up the Seafarers expansion tonight. Just waiting for everyone to read the rule book so we can play scenario 1. Looks like a good expansion.

@skinny1:

I picked up the Seafarers expansion tonight. Just waiting for everyone to read the rule book so we can play scenario 1. Looks like a good expansion.

It’s best played with Knights, as a massive game.

GG

• Anyone here played the Catan Card Game?

I got it a couple of months ago, and I was just looking for some more input on the game.  I’ve never played the regular Catan boardgame, although I think that I would like to tryit .  My problem recently has been that I have no one (or only 1 player, and I think that the Catan boardgame requires 3 players.  Right?) to play any games with pretty much, so I’ve just been playing Axis & Allies here using Battlemap.

• @Bardoly:

Anyone here played the Catan Card Game?

I got it a couple of months ago, and I was just looking for some more input on the game.  I’ve never played the regular Catan boardgame, although I think that I would like to tryit .  My problem recently has been that I have no one (or only 1 player, and I think that the Catan boardgame requires 3 players.  Right?) to play any games with pretty much, so I’ve just been playing Axis & Allies here using Battlemap.

Here is a way to play a 2 player game of Settlers of Catan. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/21616/klaus2player-pdf 
    I used this for the first 2 or 3 games that I played.

@Guerrilla:

@skinny1:

I picked up the Seafarers expansion tonight. Just waiting for everyone to read the rule book so we can play scenario 1. Looks like a good expansion.

It’s best played with Knights, as a massive game.

GG

I plan on picking up Cities and Knights next. Then the Traders and Barbarians expansion. Also looking into the Candamir and Elasund games of Catan.

• I picked up Cities and Knights yesterday. There is a page of variants in the rule book and one of them is how to add the Seafarers expansion to be played with Cities and Knights. I cannot wait to play some Seafarers scenarios then a couple games of Cities and Knights then combine the two. Next to get will be the Traders and Barbarians expansion.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m