• I dont wish it had imaginary hits, that cant be further from the truth

My AA50 house rules……
    Changes to Units:
    3. Carriers – Carriers now cost 17 IPCs, and require two hits to sink, when damaged they can only launch or land one plane. They must repair in the same way as battleships (see above).

I understand not putting my carriers in risky positions, but as japan, with 3 allied turns between, there is a chance that a fleet may be reduced to only a carrier and two planes by the time it gets to the ANZAC turn….and a lone sub comes by

The planes launch to defend against a target they can not hit, and can not land on a now damaged carrier.
    A torpedo killed 20 IPCs of fighters by damaging a carrier, does it hit the cargo hold? and the deck? and some of the planes on deck? after that, there isnt even much ship left to repair!

• @oztea:

The planes launch to defend against a target they can not hit, and can not land on a now damaged carrier.
    A torpedo killed 20 IPCs of fighters by damaging a carrier, does it hit the cargo hold? and the deck? and some of the planes on deck? after that, there isnt even much ship left to repair!

So you’re far from friendly land and a sub comes along against your lone carrier:
    AA50 rules: sub hits the carrier and sinks it in one hit.  Planes can’t land, planes die.  Sub “killed” 34 IPCs.

Pacific Rules:  sub hits carrier, carrier develops a list (which is really the damage we’re discussing, causing the planes to be unable to land on a tilted deck), planes can’t land, planes die, but carrier manages to depth charge a 2 hit on the sub.  Sub “killed” 20 IPCs and if you get lucky, you can limp the carrier back home.

Much better deal. The “protection from this kind of insanity” is that your carrier MIGHT make it back, saving you 16 IPCs.  It could be worse.  It would make sense to me that planes would NOT in fact launch if a sub sneak attacked and hit (but they could launch if the first torp missed).  Because you’d think the whole point of the sub is to catch them unawares.  But that would make subs very broken.

• Planes might be on CAP
    Planes might be on deck
    Planes might be in the hold when the sub attacks

That is why I prefer reducing the ammount of planes that can land to 1

so you do lose one plane if you have two, but arent punished unrealisticly if a sub sneak attacks you and somehow pops two planes when it hits the carrier

• @oztea:

Planes might be on CAP
    Planes might be on deck
    Planes might be in the hold when the sub attacks

That is why I prefer reducing the ammount of planes that can land to 1

so you do lose one plane if you have two, but arent punished unrealisticly if a sub sneak attacks you and somehow pops two planes when it hits the carrier

Realistically, the carrier is half on its side, unable to land any planes.

It could be argued that the point of a plane only having one move space as a defender is that they ARE in fact on CAP, not when attacked specifically but throughout the round until your turn again and as such are not fresh.

If you want to make it more complicated to realistically describe planes on CAP and on deck, maybe declare before combat whether you’ve got some sleepers.  And if that carrier doesn’t fully tip you keep your decked plane.  But if the sub hits the ammo mag…  well…  bummer.  Guess you should have had them on CAP with their one move.

• I garuntee damaged carriers retured to port during WWII with some planes on board

and I figured it out two seconds ago when I was upstairs
    the rule is for convience, and a cop out by larry.

Since the A&A standard of “damage” is “tipped on its side”
    And since carrier peices CANT hold plane pieces when tipped on their side
    when damaged….carriers cant hold planes!

so rules and reality have to bend to the fact that we dont have damage chips in this edition…

• @oztea:

I garuntee damaged carriers retured to port during WWII with some planes on board

Cmon dude give him some credit. He made the decision based on how best he thought the game would work. If you don’t like it, fine, make a house rule, but you don’t have be a jerk.

• @oztea:

I garuntee damaged carriers retured to port during WWII with some planes on board

Of course they did, but this is a simplified game.  If you want an element of reality to it make a house rule where some or all of your planes are on CAP, maybe even send them to adjacent sea zones declared during each turn, and then roll 1d6 per plane to land on a damaged carrier (a 6 ditches in ocean).

And while you’re at it, roll 1d6 after a sub strike to determine torp strike - 6 for critical hit - ammo magazine, all lost; 5 for rudder strike, steam in a circle, can’t move for a full turn; 4 for power loss, can only move one space at a time; 3 -1 for torpedo belt, land planes as noted above.

Or stop worrying about it cause your carrier will OCCASSIONALLY live slightly longer than before because it’s a minimal change.

• @oztea:

Since the A&A standard of “damage” is “tipped on its side”
    And since carrier peices CANT hold plane pieces when tipped on their side
    when damaged….carriers cant hold planes!

so rules and reality have to bend to the fact that we dont have damage chips in this edition…

Then just go back to the old rule 1 hit and you are sunk. Then you won’t have to worry about whether or not your planes can land on it.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@kcdzim:

@oztea:

Of course they did, but this is a simplified game.  If you want an element of reality to it make a house rule where some or all of your planes are on CAP, maybe even send them to adjacent sea zones declared during each turn, and then roll 1d6 per plane to land on a damaged carrier (a 6 ditches in ocean).

And while you’re at it, roll 1d6 after a sub strike to determine torp strike - 6 for critical hit - ammo magazine, all lost; 5 for rudder strike, steam in a circle, can’t move for a full turn; 4 for power loss, can only move one space at a time; 3 -1 for torpedo belt, land planes as noted above.

Or stop worrying about it cause your carrier will OCCASSIONALLY live slightly longer than before because it’s a minimal change.

Agreed. Like I said, I think overall this will add to the fun/challenge factor which, isn’t that what Larry was after? Making a more challenging A&A game for us? We should just say “Thank you Larry”.

• I’ll save my thank you until I am holding my own copy.

• yea he made the best game he could
    im still going to enjoy it, and keep house rules to a minnimum

I can live happily with how carriers work now, im going to keep a fleet with them at all times, but im dissapointed they dont work the way I envisoned

Hey…we cant all get our way in larrys game…

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@oztea:

yea he made the best game he could
    im still going to enjoy it, and keep house rules to a minnimum

I can live happily with how carriers work now, im going to keep a fleet with them at all times, but im dissapointed they dont work the way I envisoned

Hey…we cant all get our way in larrys game…

…but we CAN get our own way with HOUSE RULES! And Oz, you make a lot of great ones. I plan to try your carrier rules too and see what my friends and I like better.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m