• Actually, over the decades and centuries, with the exception of medicaleese and legaleese, writing has become MUCH more succint and simple.

If you don’t believe me, pick up Dicken’s.

• i didn’t think he was just a slacker who sat around and waited for TM to get home from school so he could play her in A&A…

No you have it the exact way around. ;)

BTW, medicaleese is a word?

• Neither is legaleese

• they might not be words, but they should be :wink:

• @yourbuttocks:

Actually, over the decades and centuries, with the exception of medicaleese and legaleese, writing has become MUCH more succint and simple.

be careful
    medicalese is a very handy dialect. It helps keep a modicum of power within a certain elite group, and it also serves to make us sounds smarter. “Erythemitus region” sounds much better than “kind of splotchy red patch”. “Afebrile” vs. “normal/low temperature”. “reversible ischaemic neurological deficit” vs. “temporary weakness in one part of the body”.
    Bwa hahahahaha

• @cystic:

@yourbuttocks:

Actually, over the decades and centuries, with the exception of medicaleese and legaleese, writing has become MUCH more succint and simple.

be careful
    medicalese is a very handy dialect. It helps keep a modicum of power within a certain elite group, and it also serves to make us sounds smarter. “Erythemitus region” sounds much better than “kind of splotchy red patch”. “Afebrile” vs. “normal/low temperature”. “reversible ischaemic neurological deficit” vs. “temporary weakness in one part of the body”.
    Bwa hahahahaha

Is that one of the reasons the Catholic church abandoned the Latin Mass. It was too hard for the worshipers to understand what was going on, that they began to give up. People would probably get better health care if their doctors would use the common language of the region.

• @Anonymous:

@cystic:

@yourbuttocks:

be careful
    Bwa hahahahaha

Is that one of the reasons the Catholic church abandoned the Latin Mass. It was too hard for the worshipers to understand what was going on, that they began to give up. People would probably get better health care if their doctors would use the common language of the region.

I don’t believe this is likely. Most of us are trained to use simpler words (i was even criticized for asking a standardized patient “does the pain radiate anywhere?” even when i corrected it to “travel”.
    No, people would get better health care if there were more intelligent mechanisms for accessing health care facilities and distributors in place, if people were more “prevention minded”, an increase in evidence, more money in the system (one way or another . . . ) and a billion other changes before “changing the medical lingo”. Most of us are smart enough to know that patients do not understand all the words we may use, so we tailor our discussions to our patients, asking them if there is anything they do or do not understand, etc. Physicians who do not follow this commonsensical approach tend to be older/paternalistic, or arrogant subspeciallists - also paternalistic hotshots. The lingo is handy when discussing with other medical professionals for a number of reasons - mostly because many are descriptive terms that require this alternative.
    At the same time, i recall many loud complaints during anatomy and haematology (study of blood) when we sought to throw out hundreds of years of latin and poor nomenclature in favor of a simpler form of expression . . . .

• I know what you are talking about CC, the point of Legaleese is to limit the possible interpretations of sentences.

• i know legaleese fairly well, i have 2 lawyers in my family! :P

• I only have one, and he is a patent lawyer.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m