• I’ll have to read more into the issue myself before I give my postiive answer. :)

For instance, can you give a few example of “women offered the same opportunities that men have in college sports?”

Don’t we already have much of that going on?

• Moses,

the UK, Germany explains itself this way. I am originally from germany, but i live in the Uk now to go to University. but i still go back in the holidays to see parents. so that why the two of them.

Waraxis,

i agree with you that money alone wont fix the problem. i was just focusing on what the state can do to provide the best environment for kids to develop themselves. how to sort parents out not to mess their kids up is a very difficult question, and the one that actually defines a kid most likely future. so thenthe question is, what is a fit parent and should everyone have kids? (like drug addicts etc)

Laters,

Hanso

• the UK, Germany explains itself this way. I am originally from germany, but i live in the Uk now to go to University. but i still go back in the holidays to see parents. so that why the two of them.

Ah… thanks for clearing things up. :)

• @The:

I apologize in advance for attempting to shift the focus of this conversation. What is everyone’s take on Title 9? Should women be offered the same opportunities that men have in college sports if by doing so they, in some cases, restrict a man’s opportunity?

I think not; why should womens’ athletic opportunities be held in equal regard as mens’ if interest in the two by the respective athletes is not?

Again, sorry, but the two ideas (Affirmative Action and Title 9) share some similarities.

I agree. Title 9 is wrong. I believe anyone should have a chance to do whatever they want as long as it doesn’t restrict anyone else’s ability to do what they want to do.

• can anyone (objectively) describe title 9?

• It is basically providing for women to have equal athletic opportunities and funding as men at universities. The problem is, this generally detracts from mens sports. The question being, like affirmative action, is detracting from one group in pursuit of equality justified?

• It is basically providing for women to have equal athletic opportunities and funding as men at universities. The problem is, this generally detracts from mens sports.

Sports have traditionally been dominated by men. If women want to make a little headway in sports, then let them. However this should be proportional to popularity. I also have some trouble by understanding what “equal athletic opportunities” means (women’s football shouldn’t recieve equal funding as men’s football, simply because it isn’t as popular [or generates as much revenue]). Does this mean a women can try out for a men’s team? Fine by me :)

• I think Title 9 provides that there must be an equal # of males/females in athletics as the proportion of same in the school. Ex: 2000 students, 50% split, there must be a 50% proportion of male/female athletes. I think there must also be an equal number of sports allowed, but I’m not sure. The reason I feel Title 9 is wrong is because there generally aren’t as many sports offered for females, and there are usually less females who want to be athletes, my apologies to any female athletes out there. :)

• so how is this “equality” enforced?

• I believe it is through funding, in which case it only applies to public schools.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m