• Congrats on 2000 post! 8)

• not yet, yanny has 1999

• When he responds to me that is.

• @Yanny:

Rainbow Six is the only Jack Ryan book I haven’t read. I hear the plot sucks, couple of envirmentalists trying to take over the world for animals. But the idea of a team of international Special Forces does sound interesting. Nato should think of it.

Don’t get me wrong, the SEALs do still operate, and are given very special missions. And yes, when we need to do something off the water, the SEALs are there. But the SEALs mission now is not as widespread as it was 15 years ago. Delta Force does a large part of the old SEAL work.

I saw a commercial for some new Playstation 2 game about the SEALs, what is your opinion on that?

• US Special Forces are needed all across the world. You see more of Delta Force in the Middle East, N. Africa, ect, while the SEALs are seen more in South and Central America. It’s more of a matter of preference really.

• Hey, I found out something interesting the other day. Does anyone remember way back in 1999, when we (Seattle) hosted the WTO convention?

Well, while all those tree-hugging hippies were rioting in their turtle suits, the Delta Force was actually there a week ahead of them to scout out any terrorist problems in order to protect President Clinton. The Delta Force took up residence in the Regrade Motel while they were on assignment. Apparently, a week before that, border officials caught Ahmed Rassam at the Canadian border. The funny part is, they found out that he had reservations a week before the WTO convention at a certain hotel…the Regrade. :lol:

• @Yanny:

the idea of a team of international Special Forces does sound interesting. Nato should think of it.

Dude, haven’t you played Deus Ex?

And Moses, he still doesn’t have 2000 posts

• Are you sure about that? :P

• He made his 2000th post after I posted that you silly Moses

• And you should take better time to read post once is awhile… :-?

@Moses:

When he responds to me that is.

errrrr…

• For those of you questioning Canadian military spending:

By US standards, Canadian defence spending is abysmally low, but at just over over $12 billion Canada is in the top 10 per cent of military spenders worldwide. The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) lists the defence spending of 160 countries in 2001, with Canada ranked at 16.1 The former US Arms Control and Disarmament Agency, in its last report, used 1997 figures to rank Canada 16th from the top of a list of 167 countries (and 6th from the top in military spending per soldier).2 The International Institute of Strategic Studies (IISS) in London ranks Canada as the 7th highest military spender of NATO’s 19 member states (within the top third of non-US members). In a list of 46 European and North American states, IISS ranks Canada as 8th from the top – in other words, Canada ranks within the top 20 per cent.3
    In terms of the personnel strength of the armed forces (regular military personnel), IISS ranks Canada 11th out of 19 in NATO, and 17th out of 46 in Europe/North America.4

For a country with very few enemies (up until recently - Osama), in an organization that spends 1000 billion dollars annually, it seems inappropriate to me for Canada to increase its military spending. Rather we should be more vigilent as to where the money goes.

• I am in favor of a powerful and expensive Canadian military because it will join the American Army after the Annexation (what is the french word for annexation?) just like Austria’s army joined Germany’s army after the Anschluss. :D

• Eh, Canada really doesn’t need much a military. Neither does the United States or the rest of the world. I don’t see a very large scale war breaking out very soon…

• We need to send some more troops and armor and planes to S. Korea, in order to scare them like we have scared Iraq into bending over for the U.N.

• That’s more money wasted… :-?
    We still have troops stationed in S. Korea left over from the Korean War… :-?

• wow, they must be old!

• Not to mention the old Soviet-bloc countries…

• what do you meen?

• We still have troops stationed in S. Korea left over from the Korean War…

If memory serves they are there because it was just a cease fire, and not a peace treaty that was signed.

• what do you meen?

There are plenty of troops still stationed in E. Europe.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m