How Did Your Forum Name Came To Be?

• Sun…does a better job for you than Microsoft? The proof is in the success of the two companies.

• Hmmm… could it be that Sun actually gives their stuff away for free (Java), unlike Mircosoft who copy the code, rewrote some of it, and tried to sell it for a fee? Hmmm… major lawsuit.

• Hmm…could it be that Microsoft gives away it’s stuff for free too? (Internet Explorer, Outlook, .NET, Windows Media Player)

Microsoft’s products are a lot more useful and productive than anything SUN makes…

• doubtful.

• You’re not seriously going to disagree with that, are you? Where am I going wrong?

• Not really, you know me better than that. :wink:
    Anyways, let me tell you, a few months ago Micro$oft informed our school that we would start having to pay a fee each year to license copies of their OS on the school&'s computers (about 30 in all for the Computer Lab). As if buying sets of their OS for every computer wasn’t enough, they wanted us to pay a yearly fee just to have the rights to use it. My, aren’t we smart? :roll:

Anyways, that’s when Sun Microsystems came to the rescue. They agree to support our schools computers with their own software for FREE!!! That’s right, instead of paying for copies on each computer, just one copy to be shared on each computer, or outrageous royalty fees, they agreed to just giving us their software for free on use for our computers. Good people. :D Too bad I can’t say the same for Micro$oft. :-?

• Hehe, I love debating with you TG. :D

Ok, the only response I have to the story you presented is to say that it’s simply two different types of business practices. Microsoft’s business aim thus far has proved to be extremely successful. :-?

Let’s make something very clear–you don’t make money by giving stuff away for free. On the other hand, you don’t get to be successful by making customers resentful, so I think there’s a happy medium between the two.

The part I can’t understand is when you say you would’ve had to pay a yearly fee just to use the software. I completely agree with making your school buy software for each and every computer, but I think you’re off when you say a yearly fee. Are you referring to Microsoft’s new licensing program? If so, that’s simply to get the most recent software…but it’s only favorable if you are the type who consistently buys the most current software. This licensing program is not mandatory.

In this scenario I might agree with you that using an open-source solution to software has it’s advantages. An institution like a school is on limited income, and therefore doesn’t always have the funds to pour into their technology department. :-?

Can you please explain what you’re referring to when you say that Microsoft told your school to pay a yearly fee? I thought I was an expert in this field, but I’ve never heard of this before. :-?

• Ok, the only response I have to the story you presented is to say that it’s simply two different types of business practices. Microsoft’s business aim thus far has proved to be extremely successful.

Looking a Microsoft’s tech stocks today, I would say not as much.

Let’s make something very clear–you don’t make money by giving stuff away for free. On the other hand, you don’t get to be successful by making customers resentful, so I think there’s a happy medium between the two.

I think Sun makes their money by suing the pants off of Microsoft. :)

The part I can’t understand is when you say you would’ve had to pay a yearly fee just to use the software. I completely agree with making your school buy software for each and every computer, but I think you’re off when you say a yearly fee. Are you referring to Microsoft’s new licensing program? If so, that’s simply to get the most recent software…but it’s only favorable if you are the type who consistently buys the most current software. This licensing program is not mandatory.

It seemed so to us. :-?

In this scenario I might agree with you that using an open-source solution to software has it’s advantages. An institution like a school is on limited income, and therefore doesn’t always have the funds to pour into their technology department.

Heh, it seems like Microsoft isn’t intent on releasing their source code, yet are thinking of doing so with the rise in computer programing using Java and Linux in the UC system.

Can you please explain what you’re referring to when you say that Microsoft told your school to pay a yearly fee? I thought I was an expert in this field, but I’ve never heard of this before.

I ask my teacher on it. :wink:

• Deveint:Scripter,TG moses start a new thread on Microsoft

• What’s the point?

• YAY- :D my second topic ive posted to become popular :D

• heh, you must be proud. :wink:

• w.r.t. the microsoft issue - as a former 'puter salesguy, i noticed that MS material purchased by students, teachers, etc. had a huge discount on it relative to the stuff bought by “the public” (provided appropriate documentation was displayed etc.). Also they’re bulk purchases for schools was also considerably less than, say a law firm.
    Note that i was privy to wholesale price info.

p.s. good job Geze - i’ve yet to begin a successful forum.

• Yea, I’m aware of that CC. Pretty cool, huh?

In case you’re interested, I’m fairly certain that the education price applies to regular students also, not just schools. Just though ya might like to know…

Bill Clinton is walking a dog around the White House lawn early one morning. He walks it past the guard’s post, and the marine says “Mr. President, is that a new dog?” Clinton smiles, and replies, “Why yes, I got it for my wife.” The marine looks at the the dog, looks up with a smile and says, “Excellent trade.”

• you’re right D:S - i was able to give the discount to university/college students as well.

• Back to topic:

my name stems from my r/l first name, the underscore a relic of my first email addy and the nick which appeared after it (with the softwarae that i had to use)…
    then a friend who received mails from me started to actually vocalize that gap, and here i am…

• u know something falk i like ur name alot ;)

if thats ur real name ur parents had good taste in names when they named u ;)

• my name stems from my r/l first name, the underscore a relic of my first email addy and the nick which appeared after it (with the softwarae that i had to use)…
    then a friend who received mails from me started to actually vocalize that gap, and here i am…

Come again? :wink:

• vocalizing the gap eh?

HOW? :-?

• @F_alk:

Back to topic:

my name stems from my r/l first name, the underscore a relic of my first email addy and the nick which appeared after it (with the softwarae that i had to use)…

So it’s not after the F_alklands?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m