• I recall hearing a legend somewhere of the last known Japanese “MIA” being discovered by some children in the Philippines sometime in the late '60’s. Sounds like “Weekly World News” type of stuff to me, but ya never know.

In WW1 a Zeppelin crewman somehow survived the crash of his ship and wandered around England for several weeks before being caught. If that was possible in a densely populated Great Power, where there was no “Resistance Movement” to lend a hand, who knows how long a single guy in the bush (especially one as highly trained in jungle survival as the Japanese soldier) could hold out. Still, merely conjecture…

Ozone27

• In regards Sir Ozone, that story you heard is correct! I heard almost the same exact story from my history teacher a while ago. And interesting back-story filled with romance was that the young Japanese soldier was engaged to be married to his sweetheart after the “war” was supposedly over. The Japanese soldier then set sail for the Philippines to defend against the oncoming Americans. However, the Japanese soldier never once met combat with the enemy, and for many years the soldier remained in his cave ready to protect the Emperor. Many years after the war, that man was discovered, though I don’t know how or exactly when.

The man was then brought back to the Japanese mainland where he was reunited with his friends and family. The woman he had left behind married but early on got devoiced. This set the stage for one of the grandest weddings in Japanese history as the man and woman were finally renewed their commitments and got married.

• I read a book at my friends house (he’s a war/weapon etc. guy), a small japanese force didn’t know the war was over until about 7 years after the war ended. They had to be adressed to from they’re previous commander to believe it :grin:

Before, we always had one turn to be 1 year, but the games last for many more turns than before now, so it’s a variable :smile:

• On 2002-04-19 09:54, yourbuttocks wrote:
    If the U.S. had not insisted upon unconditional surrender, neither an invasion nor the atomic bomb would have been needed

So we let japan get away with the mass murder of chinese…good idea.

• Anony(et al),
    It’s a GAME! A turns length is as long as it lasts. There is no realtime equivalence given in any game documentation. MAKE YOUR OWN UNIVERSE WITH YOUR OWN TIME UNITS.
    Have fun…or try a different game!
    WHO SAID THAT?

“If only I had listened to my military advisors when they suggested ‘Wait five years. Give us time to build and train our forces. Then we fight and win a glorious victory!’”
    ------------------Fuhrer Adolf Hitler

• Actually it was the possible involvement of the Russians that played a large role in Japan’s decision to capitulate.

• Indeed, I believe that The Japanese made at least one attempt to surrender to the Russians.

• I would think this would be the other way around. First, the Japanese high command was not averse to continuing their war with America. In order to understand this, you have to know high factor national honor is to the Japanese and their Code of the Bushido. Even after the first atomic bomb was dropped, the military leaders still believed with the right combination of AA guns that such bombers and bombs could be hit while still in the sky. The Japanese even experimented with sound vibrations in which to knock down enemy craft! However, with the Russians, the Japanese were caught in a totally different situation. The Japanese knew that if they capitulated, the time would come where the Americans would eventually leave. If the Russians had occupied Japan, the Japanese knew that they might never leave. This largely mirrors real life as Russian and Japan are still disputing over some of the Northern Islands of Japan since the end of WWII.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m