A couple quick questions for a complete newb!!

• Hello,

I have a couple questions if its not too much trouble. Sorry if they are basic I just bought the the game for me and my 12 year old daughter to play.

Here are my questions:

1. How many units can I move on a combat move? Can we move units in every territory? Can we move units to conduct battle in multiple territories?
          i.e. 2 land battles on one side and a completely seperate sea battle

2. I understand you role the number of die for the units you have. If I have 7 infantry units do I only roll just the 5 die of one color or do I roll 7?

3)fighter/bomber clarification- If I have planes on a coatal territory can I use those planes to attack a naval ship apporaching before it hits my coast? Also if they are in a battle ship in a friendly sea zone can I send them out on runs to attack naval ships in othe zones as long as I have moves to get back to the ship?

thanks in advance for your help and again I am sorry if these are real simple questions.

• Don’t worry, the rules are not that hard. I am 12 myself! Let me answer your questions.

In a combat move, you can move as many troops as you like from as many territories as you want. For example, if America took over the Kwangtung, the Japanese could make a joint attack from French Indochina and Manchuria. If there was two infantry and a tank in Manchuria, you could use all of them to mount the attack. If you do not have any troops in a territory, it is still under your control until an enemy takes it. You can mount completely seperate battles in the space of one turn as long as they don’t happen at the same time.

Now for the dice question. When you place your troops on the battle strip in the correct places, you can see a units attack number. You roll once for each unit, even if they have the same attacking or defending number. If you roll that unit’s number or less, you score a hit.

Lastly, I must give some fighter/bomber clarification. If you have planes on an island, and you see a ship or fleet coming towards, most likely for an amphibious assault, then you can bomb the ships IF the ships have finished their turn, and it is now yours. Remember, ships can move two sea zones per turn. I do not fully understand your second question. It does not matter whether enemy ships are in a sea zone friendly to you or not. You can send fighters and bombers over the ships both ways, as long as you have enough moves for the plane to get back to friendly land or sea territories. However, I would advise not to send bombers to attack ships that are in a sea zone right next to where the enemy has amassed AA guns.

That’s all. Don’t worry about asking simple questions. I did the same thing when I was first introduced to A&A.

• Thanks for the response. One more quick note on not sending bombers where to a sea zone nest to an enemy AA gun. Can the AA gun be used to combat the air strike in the sea zone?

• Now for the dice question. When you place your troops on the battle strip in the correct places, you can see a units attack number. You roll once for each unit, even if they have the same attacking or defending number. If you roll that unit’s number or less, you score a hit.

I understand that. But if I am rolling for two infantry I roll two die. if I have 7 infantry and I am rolling for that attack number I would roll 7 die correct?

• Official Q&A

Welcome, gwtwins!  I hope you and your daughter enjoy the game.

@gwtwins:

One more quick note on not sending bombers where to a sea zone nest to an enemy AA gun. Can the AA gun be used to combat the air strike in the sea zone?

No.  AA guns only fire when the territory they’re in is attacked by air units.

@gwtwins:

But if I am rolling for two infantry I roll two die. if I have 7 infantry and I am rolling for that attack number I would roll 7 die correct?

Yes.  If you have 20 infantry, you roll 20 dice.

• Thanks Krieghund. One more question that came up last night if you dont mind. If i enter a hostile seazone that is occupied by 2 different countries which are allies. Do I chose who to conduct battle with or do I conduct two seperate battles with each country.

• @gwtwins:

Thanks Krieghund. One more question that came up last night if you dont mind. If i enter a hostile seazone that is occupied by 2 different countries which are allies. Do I chose who to conduct battle with or do I conduct two seperate battles with each country.

Neither. Both countries defend together on the same battle. It’s up to the player(s) of those countries to decide upon who rolls and choosing combat losses. If they can’t agree on the losses, it’s up to the attacking player to choose! :D

• Thanks. I suppose that goes for land battles as well. So 2 allies defend together but can not attack together correct

• @gwtwins:

Thanks. I suppose that goes for land battles as well. So 2 allies defend together but can not attack together correct

Correct. If, for instance you have an allied fighter on your carrier and send the carrier to an attack, the allied fighter doesn’t participate on the attack and is considered cargo: if the carrier is sunk the fighter is also lost.
    Another situation where it is good to remember the rule is when you have an enemy sub and and allied destroyer on the same SZ. If you attack the SZ to destroy the sub you’ll need to bring one of your own destroyers because then both your units and the allied destroyer would be participating on the same attack.

• @bilbobaggins321:

Don’t worry, the rules are not that hard. I am 12 myself! Let me answer your questions.

In a combat move, you can move as many troops as you like from as many territories as you want. For example, if America took over the Kwangtung, the Japanese could make a joint attack from French Indochina and Manchuria. If there was two infantry and a tank in Manchuria, you could use all of them to mount the attack. If you do not have any troops in a territory, it is still under your control until an enemy takes it. You can mount completely seperate battles in the space of one turn as long as they don’t happen at the same time.

Now for the dice question. When you place your troops on the battle strip in the correct places, you can see a units attack number. You roll once for each unit, even if they have the same attacking or defending number. If you roll that unit’s number or less, you score a hit.

Lastly, I must give some fighter/bomber clarification. If you have planes on an island, and you see a ship or fleet coming towards, most likely for an amphibious assault, then you can bomb the ships IF the ships have finished their turn, and it is now yours. Remember, ships can move two sea zones per turn. I do not fully understand your second question. It does not matter whether enemy ships are in a sea zone friendly to you or not. You can send fighters and bombers over the ships both ways, as long as you have enough moves for the plane to get back to friendly land or sea territories. However, I would advise not to send bombers to attack ships that are in a sea zone right next to where the enemy has amassed AA guns.

That’s all. Don’t worry about asking simple questions. I did the same thing when I was first introduced to A&A.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m