• The only problem is that A&A: Europe’s Africa front is pitful compared to the original A&A map. And from what I heard, the African front was much more hotly contested (and not just parts of North Africa, all of it) in WWI than WWII

BTW: I like you idea of optional countries. Did you work out the rules on how they can become part of the war?

• Mostly. I simply need to finish re-designing the map, I’m mostly dividing large areas and adding territories like East Prussia and I need to write it all down. Then I need some testers. but I do have the rules for Italy and America joining the war ready.

• I see… you’re doing all of this on computer? If so, what program are you using?

• @TG:

I see… you’re doing all of this on computer? If so, what program are you using?

Good old Paint for the map.

• Are you going to use the map link mod posted in the A&A: Europe forums?

• @TG:

The only problem is that A&A: Europe’s Africa front is pitful compared to the original A&A map. And from what I heard, the African front was much more hotly contested (and not just parts of North Africa, all of it) in WWI than WWII
    quote]

Was it?
    I thought all german colonies fell after not much more than a month of fightign? (i remember one was doing better, can’t remember which one though)
    I mean if you have a look at the map, the only border therebetween the entente and the central powers was Egypt.
    I can’t recall that there was much fighting elsewhere in Africa

• “Was it?”

Yes, it was :roll: In 1914 the German colonies in Africa consisted of Togoland, the Cameroons, German Southwest Africa, and German East Africa. The combined British and French took possession of Togoland in August 1914 (which might be what you are refering to). In September of that year a British force invaded the Cameroons from Nigeria, and a French force invaded from French Equatorial Africa to the east and south of the Cameroons. After many campaigns in which the Germans several times defeated the Allied Forces, German resistance was finally overcome in February 1916 (meaning that the African battle lasted much longer than ‘one month’). German Southwest Africa was conquered, between September 1914 and July 1915, by troops from the Union of South Africa (like I said, the war stretched stretched all across Africa). The most important of the German possessions, German East Africa, displayed the strongest resistance to the attacks of the Allies. Early assaults by British and Indian troops (November 1914) were repulsed by the Germans under General Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck. In November 1915, British naval units gained control of Lake Tanganyika, and the following year the Allied forces (British, South Africans, and Portuguese) intended for the invasion of German East Africa were placed under the command of General Jan Christiaan Smuts. In 1916 the Allies captured the principal towns of German East Africa, including Tanga, Bagamoyo, Dar es Salaam, and Tabora, and Lettow-Vorbeck’s troops then retreated into the southeast section of the colony. Late in 1917, however, the German forces took the offensive, invading Portuguese East Africa; and in November 1918 they began an invasion of Rhodesia. When the armistice was signed in Europe in 1918, the troops in German East Africa were still fighting, even though most of the colony was in the hands of the Allies (so this ‘one month’ war lasted the entire war). Lettow-Vorbeck surrendered three days after the European armistice was declared.

• I think I’ll use the modified map and I actually have a map of Africa in 1914 so that’s helpful.

• Too bad you can’t swap. Combine the A&A: World At War Africa Map with the A&A: Europe Map to get the best of both worlds.

• Any word on lake and river combat? Both played an important factor on how the African Front was faught.

• Interesting. I’ll see what I can think of. too bad you dont have AAE Moses. you seem to be the most interested person.

• i play a&ae but dont really have enough time to be interested :( but hey its me :wink:

• Well I’m not totally inept since I’ve seen the gameboard and know the rules. I can’t playtest it, but if you can post the final map online, I’ll see what I can do.

Feel free to contact me, any time. Our A&A Forums game is on hiatus for the moment, so I really have nothing better to do…

• I could use some of your help, you really do know what you’re talking about and I could use someone who knows the AAE rules helping me out.

• Moses, i stand corrected. I thought most was like in Togo, and only East Africa was holding out longer.

But, if you use the AAE map, then of course africa is really bring. If you use the AA map, you have to split a lot of the areas intos smaller ones, to actually be able to put in more than one german colony.

• I’m using the AAE map because it’s MUCH easier for Europe and making alterations just on it is pretty hard to do. I also don’t want to use the AA map because if I do, SA and South Esit Asia won’t b used which would be a shame. It’s a shame that I don’t have the rest of Africa along with the detailed Europe of the AAE map. Then it would be much better.

• Yeah, it’s damn shame. Well I guess you can write out the Africa part, which might’ve been a great refreshment from the agonizingly slow trench warfare in the Western Front. As for the Middle East, any chance I can pull off a Lawrence of Arabia? Also, any plans on what to do with the greater Eastern Front to even out the scales?

• No offense to the Russian player but it is inevitable that Russia will fall unless the Russian player receives aid from Britain, but that lowers teh aid to France. Basically, Austria-Hungary, Germany and Turkey have the advantage when fighting Russia. The Russians simply need to concentrate their forces on the Eastern Front in certain territories and let the rest fall.

• Any chances we’ll see a Bolshevik Revolution? :wink:

• Stop guessing all my ideas! you’ve guessed a lot of them so far, it’s freaking me out.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m