• The problem with the Van Schliefen plan is that it’ll be hard to execute, even in the A&A: Europe game since Eastern France can cut through Belgium. However, it would be an important move to cut off Brit reinforcements from coming.

• Of course it would be hard to execute. It required Germany to send 10% of its forces to occupy the French in the south and the remaining 90% to hook through Holland and then to northern France in order to crush Paris. It was made by Van Schliefen in the 19th century. Van Schliefen told the Germans on his death bed not to weaken the hook, but his words were ignored in favour of sending 60% to hook and 40% to fight the French in the south in order to prevent the French from breaking through and heading to Berlin.

The reason it would be hard to execute in A&A Europe is because no player would want to send all of his forces to knock out France so he could fight Russia. That would open Germany up to invasion by enemy forces.

• The problem with the “Hook” in WW1 was the time it took to execute,
    somthing the Germans had no trouble with in WW2. The blitzkrieg was, at that time, a modern version of the hook.

IF you really wanted to make a WW1 board game, i think, and TG Moses will follow me on this, you need to model it after the EgaleGames design of military Boardgaming.
    If you check out one of their games, you we totally see what I mean.

• In fact Eaglegames is coming out with a WW2 game soon call “Blitzkrieg and Bombers”

I can’t wait, I’m sure it will be tight.

• Yeah, I’m a big fan of Eagle Games :D

Napoleon en Europe, Age of Imperialism, Civil War – I love 'em all. I’m still debating whether or not to get Blitzkreig or Civ II. Avon Hill can learn a thing or two from Eagle’s rules and battle system. :wink:

Also the reason why I commented on the Van Schliefen plan was not so much on its impossibility. In fact a lot of historians say that the plan would of succeeded if the German generals had kept in formation according to the “wheel movement” instead of getting over greedy (after early successes) going after a lot more than what they could chew. However, the reason for my comment is that I don’t think A&A: Europe accurately reflects the amount of bloodshed involved in Northern France. Though it’s not very long (therefore taking up only one territory in A&A), it was the most fought Front of the war with every inch paid in blood. Paris should’ve been made a separate territory (sort of the capital), thereby increasing the overall complexity of the game.

• What I was thinking of doing was adding a No Man’s land area on certain borders. When ever tropps would cross that border they’d have a chance of being killed by land mines, barbed wire etc. on No Man’s land. that would help simulate the fighting of World War 1. Many conscripted young men dying in pointless battles, crossing no man’s land in attempt to push the enemy back one trench.

• Yeah, this would require a whole new ruleset. But I think this would be worth doing. The A&A battle system is outdated as it is. And with trench warfare, inf should be defending at 3. Deadzones would be neat, just imagine setting up a Hindenberg Line of Artillery, Machine Gunners, Barbwire, and posion gas against a horde of infantry (with fixed bayonets), tanks, early morning bombardment, and spotter planes drool :D

• I’d appreciate your input TG Moses VI. I really need to read the current A&AE rules in order to know the rules of the game. I also need someone willing to test out the scenario once its done. Would you be interested?

• Well, if you’re looking for seasoned A&A: Europe players, why don’t you try replying in the A&A: Europe Forum. Makes sense that way. As it is, I don’t even own a copy of A&A Europe! :P

• Is htere anyway this thread could be moved to the A&A Europe forum?

• Send a message to Yanny, I’m sure he has the powers to do it. 8)

• Emugod, if you are anywhere near Winnipeg, I’ll help you play test it

• I’m just north of Toronto, and that’s quite a long journey for an A&A game.

• @EmuGod:

I’m just north of Toronto, and that’s quite a long journey for an A&A game.

LOL

• Mr. Ghoul, if you have one of the many messengers you could help me design the scenario and play test it and give me the results. I dont even own the game unfortunately. :(

• @EmuGod:

Mr. Ghoul, if you have one of the many messengers you could help me design the scenario and play test it and give me the results. I dont even own the game unfortunately. :(

“Messengers”? not sure what that is.

• umm…nevermind i figured it out.

• I’ve gotten some of the basics of the scenario done. I just need to re-make the map and write down all the rules. Do any of you know what colours can be used for each country? I need 8 altogether.

• Sorry, can’t help you with that. But eight countries!? (Assuming each color represents a different power) Wow, I like to see that.

• The Triple Entente (plus the United States): France, Great Britain, russia, and United States

and the Triple Alliance (plus Turkey): Austria-Hungary, Germany, Italy and the Ottoman Turkish Empire.

I’ve decided to make Italy neutral at first so it can watch the game unfold and decide who to join. That way, it makes the game more interesting. I guess pieces could be borrowed from other Axis and Allies games .like AA and AAP, but I could still use some help figuring these out. I also want to use AA Batteries for poison gas units but the problem is that there arent that many. Any suggestions?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m