• @madscientist:

Have you ever played Soon_U_Die or the other experienced players at this site in an internet game?

I have never played an internet game of A&A.

• @ncscswitch:

@madscientist:

Have you ever played Soon_U_Die or the other experienced players at this site in an internet game?

I have never played an internet game of A&A.

I have never played an internet game at this site either, but if you want to, just go to “Games” and post that you are looking for a game.

@OpTorch:

@DarthMaximus:

@madscientist:

What do you guys do about a Power Africa bid? You know, if the German player bids 21 (no RR) and places 7 inf on Libya?

Germany will take Egy rd 1, possibly (syr with trn and inf).
    Round 2 they blitz around more, but by rd 3 they are moving everything to the Middle East.

So they can do what some players call a “lurch” in Europe.

The idea to lurch back to Asia and put pressure on Russia is definately a good idea, but even stronger if Ger waits a few rounds, so the allies will have more outplaced units (in Afrika, but needed to clear that continent).

Good point.

I will sometimes hide in the Syr area, meaning I’ll head to Asia but if I think the Allies went in light, I’ll back track to Egy, forcing another drop like you suggest, assuming I think I have the time in Europe/Asia.

I’ll also consider a Japan drop off to help the Egy defense (if I think I could seriously hold Afr for a while) or to hold the Ger ter there.  But that is a bit of a luxury, and probably not needed if you can afford to do it.

• @ncscswitch:

@madscientist:

I have never played an internet game of A&A.Â

until you have played some email games it is pointless to talk strategy.  most of the finer points of strategy and tactics for this game have been worked out through tens of thousands of games in the play-by-email (pbem) clubs.  there are so many variations in gameplay for this game that it is impossible for one player to work them all out by himself.  reading these forums is a good start (i wish i had studied a little more before i started playing!), but they are no substitute for playing lots of games against experienced players.

• @Hamar:

until you have played some email games it is pointless to talk strategy.

I consider that to be HIGHLY insulting.

I may not have played any “email” games, But I HAVE played some DAMN fine players IRL over the past nearly 20 YEARS.

In addition I have kicked the snot out of everything that the PC can throw at me, even stacking the deck against myself.

And then of course there is the ultimate opponent:  myself.  Always knowing what I have planned, always planning to counter, to counter, the counter, etc.

And if you doubt my skills so much, read some of the 50 or so posts I have made here, and then get back to me if you feel I am still unqualified to talk “strategy”

There is a world beyond “email” and a lot of folks game quite well without electronic component.

• @ncscswitch:

@Hamar:

It is worded very bad, and hides the point that is behind that.

I may not have played any “email” games, But I HAVE played some DAMN fine players IRL over the past nearly 20 YEARS.

That is still a pretty small pond, compared to the internet. Sure, you were the biggest fish in there. But now you have met the ocean, and i think you have already learnt a lot more than you have learnt in another N years of playing.

In addition I have kicked the snot out of everything that the PC can throw at me, even stacking the deck against myself.

That is no problem even for me. And i don’t think that i am anything more than a pretty average player.

And then of course there is the ultimate opponent:  myself.  Always knowing what I have planned, always planning to counter, to counter, the counter, etc.

That sounds quite like hubris, and probably explains why you feel HIGHLY insulted, and not just “plain” insulted by the starting remark.

And if you doubt my skills so much, read some of the 50 or so posts I have made here, and then get back to me if you feel I am still unqualified to talk “strategy”

Do you remember how you started here? In your fourth post you claimed that ignoring the US and UK will win you the game for Germany in a 2nd ed, no bid, no RR ….
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=5337.msg80024#msg80024
    You have moved quite a bto from that, but if i compare you to the “big guns” here … there is still a long long way to go. (A way which i for myself decided not to take, but i have seen it winding in front of me :) ).

There is a world beyond “email” and a lot of folks game quite well without electronic component.

True, but grow, you need to stretch your roots and suck up strategies, ideas and knowledge from everywhere. Internet just speeds up the process.

Anyway: It was insulting, but you were (are?) too full of yourself. There are a lot of fine players here. If you are so sure about yourself, then dare them.

• @F_alk:

Anyway: It was insulting, but you were (are?) too full of yourself. There are a lot of fine players here. If you are so sure about yourself, then dare them.

The response was directed to the person I quoted in my reply; and against such statements, damn skippy I am full of myself.

If you want to atake it as a statement against everyone on this board, including yourself, that is your foible, not mine.

Oh, and with the exception of playing against the “best of the best”, those score or so folks who have taken A&A to the Nth level and are active here, I would stand by my openning strategy post; destroy Russia in Round 2 or 3, and clean house.

ncscswitch,

I don’t think Hamar was trying to insult you.  I agree with Falk, it may not have been worded correctly, but the point is still valid.  It is a whole new world on internet play.

I’ve been playing A&A for close to 18 yrs now, but I have learned more in the last 3 yrs after joining this site and seeing some great players come and go and pass there information on.  Unfortunately, we lost 2 yrs of posts due to a hack.

Prior to joining this site I was an RR player with possibly a small bid, but now it is not uncommon to play games where the Axis get 22-23 IPC and the Allies still win.

It is good to be confident and I enjoy talking strat and reading your posts (or anyones post for that matter), but just be aware that the world of online play is a whole new ball game.

(to everyone)

Lets critique the strats not the players.
    Lets get back on topic and have fun!  :-)

• @ncscswitch:

@Hamar:

ok, so i was a little rough.  i apologize.  i was actually hoping that i could instigate you to try a game or two against some experienced opponents.  you obviously are interested in discussing/working out ideas and strategies, and i am impressed that you are so willing to listen when others critique your ideas.  everyone could learn a little from you in that respect.  anyways, i’m going to offer a few ideas on the other topics that you have posted!

• @Hamar:

ok, so i was a little rough.  i apologize.  i was actually hoping that i could instigate you to try a game or two against some experienced opponents.  you obviously are interested in discussing/working out ideas and strategies, and i am impressed that you are so willing to listen when others critique your ideas.  everyone could learn a little from you in that respect.  anyways, i’m going to offer a few ideas on the other topics that you have posted!

Apology Accepted; and mine offered in return.

To be all honest, All I CAN do it seems is to discuss strategy here, take those ideas and test them myself using my apparently poor version of PC based A&A.

I’ll discuss anything.  Hell one of my earliest posts was in response to a KGF strategy I had never seen implemented to the degree that appears so common here.  It worked, as far as it went, just could not withstand the subsequent UK/US counter.

And I am not afraid to try crazy ideas either (see my Japan AF transfer post to blast the allied fleet in J4 in another thread).  There are so few major variants that exist in the early stages of the game, and discussing later stages is next to impossible because of all that preceeds it.  I am willing to consider even the most off-the wall ideas, if there is a chance it might be plausible.  About the only things that are not worth strategy discussions are things like “roll all tech as Japan until you hit Heavy Bombers” or other such tripe.

I prefer to play with the base units, no technology, wth the game rules as they exist (except to “boost” my oponent in a PC game to make it moe challenging).  And I like to play the Axis.  I play a strong Japan, whether the US goes after Japan or Germany.  So my main posts here are always going to be from the perspective of boosting Germany, helping Germany survive long enough for Japan to be a threat in Europe/Central Asia, or weakening Allied powers to allow Germany to survive long enough for Japan to flex its might.

If anyone knows of a real-time online gaming site, or if anyone has the Hasbro version and would like exchange information to set up a game, I am more than willing.  I just need a time and an IP address…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m