• '12

Hello all- I would like to play Axis & Allies 1914 via Triple A. I will take either side with no bid.

The map isn’t included in the base game. It was added to the list of Experimental maps you can download, but it won’t launch correctly if you attempt to start that version. Use the version I am including here instead and place the extracted folder into your downloadedMaps folder, which on my Windows machine was located at C:\Users{my login name}\triplea.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/3uywu5ecozdpkhbgd01jb/world_war_i_1914-master.zip?rlkey=8rll3gvmta30z6tf3y6chby5d&dl=0

If anyone already has experience using this map, there are some off-map spaces in the top left that I presume are to be used to help simulate the extra free attacks that Artillery get when a naval invasion is performed, but I haven’t sussed out yet how they are to be properly used. Any guidance on this would be appreciated.

• @Eqqman whats the name of the map in the game client? I would like to have a look at it before I say yes or no to a request

• '12

@Guderian1 As mentioned, it won’t be there by default, you have to install it manually (for some reason it doesn’t launch correctly if TripleA downloads it for you). When you do have it placed correctly it will be there as “World War I 1914”.

If you’ve never done this version I’d recommend downloading the PDF of the rules since there are more than a few subtle differences from the usual WWII design, just to highlight a few :

• Land combat only lasts 1 round, if one side is not eliminated nobody collects income for that territory
    • Fighters can remain in newly occupied territories and be loaded on Transports
    • Artillery gets a free bonus round of firing when on defense in a naval invasion
    • All territories you occupy with any unit at all must have at least 1 Infantry unit in them, therefore Tanks/Artillery/Fighters can never be in a territory that has no Infantry in it. In combat this means that an Infantry unit must be the final unit selected as a casualty.

• @Eqqman I got it to work in the game client version 2.6.14607. You can use an older game client to download the map. (or I assume you can download it manually like you suggested or from their github account)

I chose the central powers. I need to play a round against AI to get the jist of it

• @Guderian1 its not so easy as I thought. the developers specify themselves that the AI does so much cheating that it cant be used to learn anything.
    They say the game mechanics diverge so much from the actual rules that you have to use edit mode to play properly. It makes it difficult to learn since its all theoretical. you cant learn from practice

• '12

@Guderian1 Yes there are some quirks for sure with the AI. The biggest issue is that it doesn’t enforce the 1-Infantry rule so you can end up having single Artillery or Fighter units occupy enemy spaces. In these cases I either ignore it or just edit it back. The main issue that causes me to use edit mode is that territory control doesn’t always revert properly when you lose. So for example if I win on defense in a contested area not originally owned by me the area will remain contested.

My main issue with the AI which I presume applies on every map is that it will only challenge you at sea if the number of ships at play is relatively small. So on this map for example if I park like a dozen ships in the Atlantic the US will just start spamming land units every turn instead of saving IPCs every round until it can place a matching fleet. It also doesn’t always do a decent job of protecting lone Transports.

• @Eqqman IM ready to start, but if I make a mistake thats not allowed, instead of editing it, notify me and I wont make it again, okay?

• '12

@Guderian1 Sure. I tried to get a play-by-forum game started with another player and I couldn’t get it to launch. If you also can’t get it to work then I will PM you my email so you can at least launch a PBEM game.

• '12

@Guderian1 Maybe I can’t send a PM, when I click your profile I don’t see an option for it…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m