• A question, can I upgrade or replace units with the bid money instead of adding infantries?

For example, if I earn $3 dollars, can I upgrade three infantries to three artilleries?

• @phd_angel
    Bids are house rules, so depends on your opponent if they will accept this.
    Ask for it before you start bidding.

• @shadowhawk Thank you but how does bid placement work in tournaments like GenCon with Global 1942 etc.?

• the official method of bidding precludes the removal of units or moving of units. If you get a bid of say 5, and place only one artillery, i don’t think you can save that balance for latter. Also in every or most every tournament other than Gen Con, their is no bid for the most part. we use 3.0 LHTR

• @Arthur-Bomber-Harris said in Online bid question:

@questioneer keep in mind that online favors the Axis more than a face to face board game where you make more mistakes. I can calculate the exact value of troops needed to ensure victory in battle when I have the luxury to battle calc every possible move.

I think 20-30 bid is fair for live play, and 40-60 is needed for games where you can spend an hour to make a move.

This really is the important distinction from tournament play at Gencon vs online tournaments. Aside from using the 42 setup. Not having access to a battle calculator means you are more likely to overcommit or under commit your forces.

• @phd_angel said in Online bid question:

@shadowhawk Thank you but how does bid placement work in tournaments like GenCon with Global 1942 etc.?

Gencon allows you to place troops anywhere they already exist. In theory, you could bid 9 and place 3 infantry all in the same space. This allows for a lower overall bid as you are not restricted to 1 unit per space.

• @shadowhawk said in Online bid question:

@Arthur-Bomber-Harris
    With normal dice even online you cannot calculate the exact number of troops but you can calculate the odds of winning and the expected losses. But its still a chance even a 70% battle can be lost.

Online play does make it easier to do these odds calculations and dont make mistakes where you go in with 45% odds of winning.

The bid depends a lot on the players and how experienced they are with the game. And there are a lot of cheesy game breaking bid placements that make the game less fun.

And many people claim that they got diced when they make 3 “70%” attacks and lose one when they likely could have made 2 attacks at 90%.

• @questioneer said in Online bid question:

What is the current or typical bid range for G40 2nd edition among online players?

Also, same question for G42 (GenCon LHTR) version.

I’d say a 42 bid for Gencon is 6-7 for the axis.

• @squirecam said in Online bid question:

@phd_angel said in Online bid question:

@shadowhawk Thank you but how does bid placement work in tournaments like GenCon with Global 1942 etc.?

Gencon allows you to place troops anywhere they already exist. In theory, you could bid 9 and place 3 infantry all in the same space. This allows for a lower overall bid as you are not restricted to 1 unit per space.

My original question was whether I can use bid money to upgrade units at GenCon tournament rules. For example, upgrade 3 inf into artillery, instead of placing 1 new infantry.

• @phd_angel said in Online bid question:

@squirecam said in Online bid question:

@phd_angel said in Online bid question:

My original question was whether I can use bid money to upgrade units at GenCon tournament rules. For example, upgrade 3 inf into artillery, instead of placing 1 new infantry.

No this is not allowed. And you cannot save $ either. Any bid money not used is discarded.

• @squirecam said in Online bid question:

And many people claim that they got diced when they make 3 “70%” attacks and lose one when they likely could have made 2 attacks at 90%.

In every battle you can get diced even if you got only 20% odds. Its not the overal outcome of the battle but the expected result.

If you got 60 infantry and score 5 hits on defence your pretty screwed.
    If you got 60 inf on defence and score 50hits the other side is screwed. Does not mather if the odds of winning the overal battle are 10% or 99%

• @shadowhawk said in Online bid question:

@squirecam said in Online bid question:

In every battle you can get diced even if you got only 20% odds. Its not the overal outcome of the battle but the expected result.

If you got 60 infantry and score 5 hits on defence your pretty screwed.
    If you got 60 inf on defence and score 50hits the other side is screwed. Does not mather if the odds of winning the overal battle are 10% or 99%

But I don’t consider 20 to 25% odds of losing to be getting diced. You will lose every fourth or fifth battle. If you have 98% odds of taking France and lose, that’s a different story.

If you make attacks where you only have a 70% chance of winning, that’s a decision you have to live with. Not the fault of the dice.

• @squirecam All in all, dice makes the game fun for me. Even online, I rarely use the calculator. When you play AA players have to accept that there are scores of individual battles in a game, so therefor by stats…

1. Most battles will play out to their odds to a certain error.
    2. You will get dice whipped- the question is when and where.
    3. You will get real lucky- the question is when and where.

The last two points are outliers that will happen in any game. The fun and tactical part of AA is that since you don’t know when it is gonna happen or where, that tests players tactical thinking as they have to swivel and pivot their strategies to a new sets of circumstances. Some may say the dice in an archaic game mechanic way even represent the “fog of war”.

Btw, just wondering what the bid was for FTF more than online as these days I enjoy the company of people in gaming. And yes Smorey’s tourneys and online ones are really 2 very different games. Having been a part of both, I can truly say that the online players have a vast amount of experience, being able to play 10-20x more games than any FTF tournament players. However, FTF players have the advantage of more rigid parameters in their tournament experience (shorter time clock, no calc and a stripped down tourney setup).

Both are great in their own right, but you definitely have to switch gears a bit when going from one to the other.

• @squirecam
    Its not if you win or lose a fight but how you win or lose a fight.
    If germany does its normal france attack and wins with 1 tank left they got diced pretty badly.
    But since they still won you dont consider it being diced?

But with dice the problem is that on average you get the right results but if you get an outlier on the wrong point in the game you will lose the game because of that. And there is nothing you can do about it.
    Germany attacking moscow with 90% odds and losing, sure russia might have had bad luck before or you might have gotten lucky somewhere else but that 1 battle makes or breaks the game.

I dont like Low Luck because its basically deterministic to the point where you know the outcome of battles. Its 2 much like playing chess. But i dont like the idea of extreme dice as well. Ideally you want to cap the outcome of a attack/defence roll to like 30-50% of the bell curve of most odds. But doing that would require some app to calculate.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m