• '19 '17 '16

True, but I am assuming that Malaya will fall pretty quickly. And if you can take down the capital, who cares about NOs that they can’t collect or collect for one turn only?

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I would agree with that. Probably better to use that transport to create a landing place for your bombers.

Marsh

• '19 '17 '16

You know what’s a good place? New Zealand. A couple of bombers hitting their bases and IC would keep them on the ropes for a while. They’re also losing 2 production and one of the NOs.

You can’t take New Zealand on a J2 dow unless the sea zone off Queensland is empty and you moved a transport from sea zone 6 to the Carolines on J1. None of the other transports can make it.

However, if you take New Guinea and drop a couple of infantry on it with an AA gun and park some bombers and a couple of fighters there, you can keep ANZAC from collecting NOs for a long time – the bombers in New Guinea can hit the sea zone of New South Wales, so unless ANZAC builds fleet to cover that sea zone any transports it builds just get splashed. If ANZAC builds a MIC in Queensland, then their airbase can cover transports, but of course they are down 12 IPCs for the MIC at that point.

Marsh

• '19 '17 '16

I was thinking of hitting it J3. I guess the limitation with that is you only start bombing the IC J5.

wrt the IC in Qld, I would say that they might as well invest the extra 4 IPC and build a carrier.

I don’t know, I guess I’m just not a fan of using a transport’s time on New Guinea for no production and no NO, and without a base that can strat bomb Sydney. If you’re still keen on this idea, why not the Solomon’s? At least that is 1/4 of an NO for Japan and also blocks both NOs for ANZAC.

Without a DOW you can get to New Hebridies, but that seems to have all the same limitations except for being able to land J2 and keep peace.

• '19 '17 '16

@Marshmallow:

You can’t take New Zealand on a J2 dow unless the sea zone off Queensland is empty

I guess the solution to this is to make it empty, you just can’t do it by J2. With peace, you can move a sizeable fleet in and a UK2 DOW requires them to run away or fight. The problem remains with the blocking which can still be achieved by running to SZ46.

I guess the question is what would you otherwise be doing with the Japanese fleet, assuming peace?

@simon33:

I don’t know, I guess I’m just not a fan of using a transport’s time on New Guinea for no production and no NO, and without a base that can strat bomb Sydney. If you’re still keen on this idea, why not the Solomon’s? At least that is 1/4 of an NO for Japan and also blocks both NOs for ANZAC.

Taking New Guinea to me seems like a strat for nerfing ANZAC’s income for several turns when you are not planning to kill Sydney quickly. With just a little fortification and a strat bomber, you can keep ANZAC pinned unable to build transports (and thus unable to contest the money islands) until the US brings in enough force to scare you off or until ANZAC invests in a factory in Queensland. Keeping down ANZACs income seems like a necessity if you aren’t going to kill it immediately. If you can kill it on J3, then you actually want it to collect objectives on J2 so you get more money.

Marsh

• This isn’t an easy take down of Sydney, but what about landing a few troops in Northern Territory and then following up with say 2 tanks 2 inf every round from Tokyo to Philippines to Northern Territory? You would probably eventually take Sydney and get a little more income in the process.

• '19 '17 '16

@Marshmallow:

@simon33:

Taking New Guinea to me seems like a strat for nerfing ANZAC’s income for several turns when you are not planning to kill Sydney quickly. With just a little fortification and a strat bomber, you can keep ANZAC pinned unable to build transports (and thus unable to contest the money islands) until the US brings in enough force to scare you off or until ANZAC invests in a factory in Queensland. Keeping down ANZACs income seems like a necessity if you aren’t going to kill it immediately. If you can kill it on J3, then you actually want it to collect objectives on J2 so you get more money.

Marsh

Sounds about right. I’d still attack the Solomons instead unless there’s something I’m missing.

@madscientist:

This isn’t an easy take down of Sydney, but what about landing a few troops in Northern Territory and then following up with say 2 tanks 2 inf every round from Tokyo to Philippines to Northern Territory? You would probably eventually take Sydney and get a little more income in the process.

It would but it you’d be investing 8 transports in that unless I’m missing something? With that sort of force, you might as well hammer the capital in one go.

• Yes, you’re right. It would use up 8 transports. Maybe just shuffle 1 tank 1 inf per turn and only use 4 trn.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m