• I have NEVER seen Japan have a force strong enough to take out Russia before turn 10. 80% of our games have an allied fleet on the start of the German’s second turn that can deliver a dozen units, this rises to 20 by Turn 3 (not sustained as the brit income falls as it loses most of Africa/India but units are available from Norway to attack the german coast). So it’s no doubt my Japan technique of the fleet rotation is alien to you Xi. What seems to happen is that allied forces VERY quickly flow into Karelia and a few tanks backed up by air power move against the Japs. They Japs really never get the luxury of sitting back and building up, it’s a war of attrition and you need units to move from Siam to India and west. You don’t need to rotate the entire fleet, just a few xports with adequate protection so my Jap capital ships don’t generally wander around alot.

After you lose Africa to Japan a few times you respect the Japs ability to quickly flow forces anywhere, this causes the allies to tie up their equipment as ‘safties’. Yes Japan can start to ‘pressure’ Russia, causing her to keep more and more units in russia. You can never look at 1 area of the map in isolation. The germans are paralized by T3 with the combined allied navy being able to hit 3 critical spots. We’ll have to play game online, hopefully you can kick my butt, maybe I’ll learn something new. But ya know what they say about old dogs…… :-)

BB

• I know the Japan to Africa ploy.
    I just don’t like to teach someone to use en passant until they know when to castle. Hope you get my metaphor! :)

• Xi,BB you guys give me lots to think about. I think I’ll try both methods in the future to see how each one works. If I do decide to do pearl, can I use the ftr from Philippines? I tried this once but my opponent said even if I move the AC to HAWsz I would still need one move to land it. Another Question is can the ftr on the Jap AC go into battle at pearl, fly back to the AC, then the AC with ftr make a non combat move to say FICsz?
    Oh Xi, often the en passent situation presents itself before the need to castle.

• If Japan has 2 hit BBs I think I’d move both BB’s, the AC and sub into Hawaii. As for the fighter in the Philipines, yes it can hit. The fighter on the carrier starts at caroline, goes to hawaii and attacks and ‘could/would’ land on wake or solomon island. The fighter from Phillipines uses 4 movement to get to hawaii so the CV would have to move to the Hawaii sea zone during combat or non-combat moves.

There is great debate as to the ruling as to if you MUST move the CV there even if the fighter that required it got shot down. Under what I see from ‘risky missions’ it does not but……

The biggest mistake I see the allies making is seeing a carrier and thinking 2 planes on offense. The Jap player should ALWAYS ensure the 2 planes from the carrier can hit and land on an island while 2 more fighters on land fly out attack and land on the carrier. Hawaii could be hit with 3 fighters, 2 BBs, CV, bomber and Sub on R1.

• Guests FTR answer is correct, except that the CV must move to the HAW sz by the Noncombat Movement phase to recover the FTR(I recommend moving the CV to the HAW sz in the Combat Movement phase to include it in the attack.)
    Guests plan is good, but overkills HAW, IMCO.

I recommend hitting HAW sz and CHI (and maybe SFE on J1.) However, if USSR has grouped in YAK, then hit SFE & SSI on J2. Hit YAK on J3 from SFE & MAN. Remember, if USSR attacks from YAK he does you the favour of thinning his forces. After J1, always TRN 8 INF or 6 INF & 1 ARM to MAN each turn. Extra IPCs can build another TRN or FTR. Island INF can be factored into these transports or moves on HAW, AUST, NZ, ALK, MEX & BRZL.

Every plan changes when the enemy is contacted.
    If one plan don’t work … try another. Take meticulous notes! :lol:

• Thanks Xi! However, knowing your opponent is not likely to take the US fleet through the Panama Canal, why do pearl? Why not make that fleet attack? It attacks at 1,2,3 but defends at 2,3,4. I expect my opponent to move the fleet north in conjunction with the WUSBB and tran to try to cross the Bering Straite and/or mess with Japansz. If japan pulls allnavy to Japansz this should be adequate counter. Do you think so?

• Xi,
    I was guest who posted about getting the fighters to hawaii. Thanks for pointing out the carrier must move to Hawaii as well but it’s redundant as I had already said to do that in my post. :-)

dubya also gatorade,
    With single hit BBs I think it’s a mistake to do pearl harbour. Have you been following the game between Uverga - DarthMaximus under the ‘Games Forum’? Japan did peal harbour and lost 2 ftrs and the sub, only had 2 BBs and the CV. Why the US never attacked is beyond me. Yeah I can understand if the Brits built a carrier and expect your 2 ftrs but it was no so here. USA could have hit the 2 bbs and CV with a BB, Xport, 2 ftrs and bomber. As the US player, (single hit BBs) I would hit any Jap fleet at Pearl Harbour unless A) the brits expected my ftrs for their new CV or B) the Japs have 2 BBs, CV and 2 ftrs or more. With 2 bbs, cv and 11 ftr the Jap has 14 D and no fodder, USA has 14 O and 1 fodder and quite frankly can afford to lose it all, the Japs can’t.

With 2 hit BBs, go nuts to the walls on pearl harbour, if the US builds all fleet on the west you can smoke it too.

BB

• BB I agree with you. I think we might be the only ones who think doing pearl is a mistake. in my last game japan sunk the US pearl fleet on one roll. However they defended with 2hits. After losing the sub I agonized over losing a ftr or BB. It seems to be more efficient to make that fleet attack, or defend further west where there is no effective UScounter. The US can put 2ftrs on the AC and move the Bmr west. But that takes pressure off germany. Might slow down Japan a bit but not fatal.
    To go off topic a bit, I work in a produce department of a grocery store. At times we have Japanese sweet potatoes available. So who discovered japanese sweet potatoes? Yammamoto of course!

• Booooooooooooo :-) Yammmsssss

I hear ya RE: Pearl, imagine if you hadn’t used that transport at all. Losing a ftr and sub costs 20 IPC to kill 38 US IPC that except for the ftr is useless against Germany. If the Yank player wanted to go Pacific to begin with he still will and doing PH might help the Pacific first strategy, the Japs just can’t build a carrier to defend it’s transports against subs and air power.

The japs are so thin on cannon fodder that you want all the land battles over quick. With overwhelming air you can do things like 2 infantry against 3 land units. There is only a 1 in 27 chance 3 defending land units do 3 hits on the first round and only a 6 in 27 chance they will do 2 hits on the first round. It’s a bit more likely that they will do NO hits then 2 or more. With 6 air units you want to have 2-3 small battles/round with Russia as they only have 2 air. Japs wins the battle of attrition.

• Damn, SUD! Write a book.
    I want an autographed copy of the first printing.
    I’m serious. :)
    I think I’ll leave ‘Player Help’
    and ‘Axis & Allies’ fora to you.

Clear, concise,
    yet thorough.

Damn, SUD! :wink:

• SUD, why must you split the Atlantic Fleet? Brit will need to bring her fleet down to get equipment to Africa, bring the Yanks along if you need fleet defense (I’ve always faced a strong German AF so the fleet rarely splits). If the Brits go light on EQ, maybe mostly tanks and the Yanks do to you don’t strand excess equipment. Yeah for that round ya might not get as much stuff to norway but it’s a small price to pay for not needing another capital ship.

BB

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m