Seperation of Church and State

• Sorry, snapped there :) Was having a bad day.

Only thing i couldn’t stand about my week in France was the food. No wonder you guys are so small! I’m 6’4’', I doubt there was a French person my size, or even up to my shoulders.

• Wow, you’re pretty tall.

• @F_alk:

@the:

Also German rocket-builders . . . i think as much praise should be given them as should designers of atomic (or any other) weapons of mass-destruction. Well done. Way to apply math in order to more easily kill your fellow man.

Well, actually, the Manhattan project did not employ that many germans. Sure, germans did a lot of the theory before that, and the the first fission was done by a group in germany, but that is not the actual bomb.
    I know that Fermi (italian), Feynman (the greatest physicist of the last century IMHO, and US american), Oppenheimer (US) worked there.

If you believe the german scientist working on the uranium porject, then they were looking for a nuclear power plant more than a bomb (and got funding for the first and not for the latter)

you forgot Bohr - who, like Nobel, was convinced that he was going to bring peace to the world through his contribution.

• @cystic:

@F_alk:

@the:

Also German rocket-builders . . . i think as much praise should be given them as should designers of atomic (or any other) weapons of mass-destruction. Well done. Way to apply math in order to more easily kill your fellow man.

Well, actually, the Manhattan project did not employ that many germans. Sure, germans did a lot of the theory before that, and the the first fission was done by a group in germany, but that is not the actual bomb.
    I know that Fermi (italian), Feynman (the greatest physicist of the last century IMHO, and US american), Oppenheimer (US) worked there.

If you believe the german scientist working on the uranium porject, then they were looking for a nuclear power plant more than a bomb (and got funding for the first and not for the latter)

you forgot Bohr - who, like Nobel, was convinced that he was going to bring peace to the world through his contribution.

Bohr didn’t work in either of these projects. Certainly not on Manhattan, maybe “part time” on the other. Even though he did the first fission, he didn’t contribute more to the bomb. And Bohr, after hearing of the explosion of the bomb, nearly committed suicide (or fell into a big depression at least). I don’t think he had a bomb in mind when he first split a nucleus, and therefore i don’t think he thought this would bring peace.

• The Funny part is my mother is 5’2’’ (and French), no one expects me to be so tall.

• @F_alk:

@cystic:

@F_alk:

@the:

Bohr didn’t work in either of these projects. Certainly not on Manhattan, maybe “part time” on the other. Even though he did the first fission, he didn’t contribute more to the bomb. And Bohr, after hearing of the explosion of the bomb, nearly committed suicide (or fell into a big depression at least). I don’t think he had a bomb in mind when he first split a nucleus, and therefore i don’t think he thought this would bring peace.

You’ll have to forgive me. I did come by this information honestly (maybe not that Bohr worked directly on the M-project, but that he did contribute to it) but a long time ago. He did strike me as being less than naive, realizing that he would have to eventually serve Germany or its enemies. The allies realized this too and England (well, a Canadian with England) smuggled him out of the country. My understanding was that initially the full scope of what he was contributing to did not hit him until afterwards, but that he was the consumate scientist.

And Yanny, my mom’s 5’2" as well. I’m 6’2". In some countries i feel like a giant :)

• My mom is 5’4" and I am only 5’9"

• Of course I am still growing :D I think I have about another inch to go.

• Has anyone read the letter that provided the phrase, “Seperation of Church and state?” In it, the author clearly states that the seperation is a one-way seperation, and that the church should always have influence in state affairs.

• If you’re talking about Jefferson - yes. This issue was answer upon by me during the whole Pledge of Alligence Fiasco.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m