• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@frimmel:

I am quite fine with hearing anything that isn’t glowing praise of JJ Trek. I personally thought it was horrible enough that JJ is officially on ‘probation’ as a creator.

Did he have to steal one of the worst bits from one of the worst Star Wars movies? shudder

That article was pretty good. I agree with nearly everything on there. The movie lacked in many areas. It was more like going to see a Star Wars movie than Star Trek.

Stealing “one of the worst bits from one of the worst Star Wars movies” … ? What did you mean. What the guy referenced about Kirk being like Luke in Ep. IV? Or something else?

• I was speaking of the part stolen from Phantom Menace where Kirk is ejected to Hoth… errrr… Delta Vega (which we will soon learn has somehow found its way into orbit around Vulcan or the same star as Vulcan) because apparently a ship the size of Iowa that they had to empty the academy to staff doesn’t have a brig or some empty crew quarters.  :roll: Once crash landed Kirk, with another act of rebellion, ignores the instructions to stay put. Kirk soon finds he is being chased by a monster which gets eaten by a bigger monster which gets eaten by a bigger monster.

• @frimmel:

@Dylan:

Well some real desperate people wanted to see it because of how blue women are not whereing all of there clothing!  :lol: :lol:

Also watch how Transformers 3 will do without Megan Fox.

Transformers 3 will do fine without Megan Fox. It will be a loud dumb CGI fest aimed at then 15 year old boys. Eye candy with questionable acting ability like Ms. Fox is not really hard to replace. And given the low bar for ‘story’ and ‘script’ in that franchise they can milk giant robots beating each other up quite well without the present principals for some time to come.

I had fun with the first and thought the battle scenes and robot stuff were very well done in 2 but I won’t be in line in any way shape or form for parts to come. I like me some big dumb loud action movies but Transformers 2 was a bit too dumb.

Split the 200 million that will no doubt be spent on T3 four ways and give us shot at getting four District 9’s.

I was referring to grossing

• I think Jurassic Park, for it’s time, was a greater achievement than Avatar. Jurassic Park is one of my top five theater movies of all time.

• ET was a big hit in 82, it did better then Star Wars.

@Dylan:

ET was a big hit in 82, it did better then Star Wars.

I loved Jurassic Park… I still think it is a great work. Definitely a better film than Avatar.

I never got into ET. Actually I really don’t like it. It used to scare me as a kid. It has been so long since I watched it that I’d have to see it again to tell whether ET lives up to its hype… or status, rather.

I just saw The Matrix for the first time last week… I thought it was a good film, but not an excellent one like so many people seem to think. I am sure if I had seen it in 1998 when it came out I wouldv’e thought it was the coolest thing ever… but I didn’t. I really go for the sci-fi/action/intellectual thriller type stuff, but I just found Matrix to be lacking.

• I hated Matrix the first time I saw it. My first viewing was a tremendously frustrating experience. I wanted to bloody well throttle Neo.

spoiler alert

As he flys off at the end I got up from my seat with a loud, “About effing time.” I still get a bit antsy with it but I enjoy all the action sequences.

• @Dylan:

@frimmel:

@Dylan:

Well some real desperate people wanted to see it because of how blue women are not whereing all of there clothing!  :lol: :lol:

Also watch how Transformers 3 will do without Megan Fox.

Transformers 3 will do fine without Megan Fox. It will be a loud dumb CGI fest aimed at then 15 year old boys. Eye candy with questionable acting ability like Ms. Fox is not really hard to replace. And given the low bar for ‘story’ and ‘script’ in that franchise they can milk giant robots beating each other up quite well without the present principals for some time to come.

I had fun with the first and thought the battle scenes and robot stuff were very well done in 2 but I won’t be in line in any way shape or form for parts to come. I like me some big dumb loud action movies but Transformers 2 was a bit too dumb.

Split the 200 million that will no doubt be spent on T3 four ways and give us shot at getting four District 9’s.

I was referring to grossing

So was I.  :-)

@frimmel:

I hated Matrix the first time I saw it. My first viewing was a tremendously frustrating experience. I wanted to bloody well throttle Neo.

I wouldn’t say I effing hated it… not nearly. But I found that it left much to be desired. Plus, the ending was beyond cheesy/cliche for a movie of this purported caliber, so that kinda sealed the deal for my thumbs horizontal take on it. I have no complaints about the scenes when the characters are outside the Matrix; I thought those were great. Especially when Neo is released from it and you see what happens to him. That was kinda spooky.

• @LHoffman:

@Dylan:

I never got into ET. Actually I really don’t like it. It used to scare me as a kid.

Stephen King’s IT scared me as a child.

• @LHoffman:

@Dylan:

ET was a big hit in 82, it did better then Star Wars.

I loved Jurassic Park… I still think it is a great work. Definitely a better film than Avatar.

I never got into ET. Actually I really don’t like it. It used to scare me as a kid. It has been so long since I watched it that I’d have to see it again to tell whether ET lives up to its hype… or status, rather.

I just saw The Matrix for the first time last week… I thought it was a good film, but not an excellent one like so many people seem to think. I am sure if I had seen it in 1998 when it came out I wouldv’e thought it was the coolest thing ever… but I didn’t. I really go for the sci-fi/action/intellectual thriller type stuff, but I just found Matrix to be lacking.

Jaws in 75?

• It was the most pathetic story and the lack of plot was replaced with special effects to make up for everything else that sucked.

3-D is the total downfall of movies and now has replaced a proper story with junk that fly’s in your face.

It’s a gimmick to sell toys and taco bell marketing tie ins to promote diabetes in children.

This goes for the comic book movies and that "Arnold Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief " riff raff, or Narnia lion thing whatever.

• '10

didn’t like it.  felt like i was watching Thundercats.  very distracting

@Imperious:

It was the most pathetic story and the lack of plot was replaced with special effects to make up for everything else that sucked.

3-D is the total downfall of movies and now has replaced a proper story with junk that fly’s in your face.

It’s a gimmick to sell toys and taco bell marketing tie ins to promote diabetes in children.

Haha… I like this analysis.  :-D

@Dylan:

Jaws in 75?

What about Jaws? Are we just comparing other films to Avatar now? I guess that is fine.

Yeah I think Jaws was/is a very good film. Interesting concept. Better than Avatar. It was way better as a kid, because it is a lot scarier… but I think it is a pretty good film.

• @Imperious:

I think proper story in movies was replaced a long time ago. It is just that the current replacement du jour is 3D. Movie studios don’t tell stories anymore. They sell a product.

@frimmel:

@Imperious:

I think proper story in movies was replaced a long time ago. It is just that the current replacement du jour is 3D. Movie studios don’t tell stories anymore. They sell a product.

Rarely is the product of quality… in my opinion.

• Many movies have been made that don’t resort to Taco Bell toy Gimmicks.

“The Pianist” comes to mind…

“There will be blood” is another.

It does figure that the same people who like Ironman also liked Avatar. They both like this level of “quality”

They should love the movie called “Piranha in 3D” too.

I could give a short list of a few quality films that are pretty recent. Intelligent and mature script, good plot, quality props, good acting and more meaning than a surface action film. Whether some fall into the Taco Bell/Burger King toy category… I don’t think so, but some might disagree.

1. The Lord of the Rings (all 3)
    2. both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight (two of the few mature and well done superhero films)
    3. Inception
    4. The Bourne movies (all 3)
    5. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

I thought that The Pirates of the Caribbean films were well done also… minus the acting of Knightly and Bloom.
    These are by no means all of them… I don’t branch out all that much into other genres… but these are what I could rattle off immediately.

• “The Pianist” was a terrific film. I get to see some great stuff working in an art-house cinema on weekends.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m