AAE not broken–Tank Push Broken, Balance Restored

• oh yeah, aequitas, exactly, that’s why it’s all about who has the defending fighters.  the only thing I see that really helps then is trading the deadzone of belo in your favor or taking the TP through Lenin and russia and hitting through the north on G7.  that will allow the cutting off of pretty much all of the USSR from Moscow and giving Ger the advantage in units, either forcing Rus to attack or just overwhelming a turn later.  That technically becomes not a TP at that point, but is a more balanced approach and a better approach all around to win as Ger anyhow.

• @maverick_76:

@murraymoto:

@maverick_76:

What I have found is the game is not broken at all. If you lend UK fighters to Russia (they can send two every turn!) it becomes very hard for the Germans to bust through.

the only problem with the UK sending 2 fighters per turn is if they can’t afford them due to the loss of Africa and their convoys.  If all that the US/UK are doing is planes, they aren’t buying ships to clean out the convoys.  Germany doesn’t need the Middle East or Africa for a Tank Push in general, but purely fighter builds will often give Germany easy access to those areas.  Moving Fighters to the Middle East then weakens Russia’s defense.

But that is what the US is for! In my games I usually consolidate my navy around UK or in the middle of the Atlantic and just overwhelm the Axis with battleships or cruisers. And usually the US has plenty of money still to buy transports to move men over to Africa and make that a lost cause for Germany. Also if the German player farts around too much with Africa and the Atlantic I’m going to go offensive with Russia. Granted for about four turns that is not possible but after that I have 8 planes, bombers (from US and UK at the start) and tanks and plenty of men.

I’m not sure that the UK can build 2 fighters for 4 rounds with a decent G1/2 TP plan they should be down well under 20 per turn income and the US will have to build ships to clean out the mess.  if the allies can’t begin putting pressure on Ger in W Europe by turn 4, then Ger can turtle and still have sent enough to Rus to take it, unless Rus can stop them or do something to force them to do something different.

• Those are just rough estimates, a good game I have 8, worst case there is one per turn, but one thing I love to do is send my bombers over to Russia for counterattack potential. What I try to do is take away any possibility and force Germany to focus on Russia, with the combined income of UK and Russia against Germany it is a fair fight. Then with US sending transports full of troops to either Africa or mainland Europe the Germans usually don’t have many options. I mean if some battles don’t go your way, yeah the Germans can still be successful with the tank push but with this I find I turn a 90% assured German victory in that game into 70% allied favored victory chance. There might be some better strategies but this seems to be pretty accurate historically and works pretty well for the most part.

• good stuff man, good stuff!

• @murraymoto I tried it and I don’t get it lol. Can’t the Germans just go in Hungary en masse and ignore Rumania? On turn 2, they’ll be in Poland with the big stack and that’s that. Only about 4 infantry and 1 artillery will be a bit left behind, which isn’t enough to swing it either way imo, especially if some Russians will be a bit out of position.

Bessarabia might be the better option because it is at least adjacent to East Poland. A friend I am playing against is doing 4 inf in Poland, which is a better bid than the transport. Now you really start to feel the pressure up north. The transport will most likely be lost after turn 1.

• Hmm, I tried it again and seemed to work better. Germany has to keep stacking Baltic States if it wants to threaten both Lenin and Belo. Lemme see if there is some way to take advantage of this as Allies…

• @kwaspek104

Hi

This might be the original Europe ? You seem to be talking about Global 40 ?

• I am not! I haven’t even played Global or Europe 1940 lol

• @kwaspek104 said in AAE not broken–Tank Push Broken, Balance Restored:

Bessarabia

made me think it was Global 40

• I have a couple of more notes on the Rumanian Wedge:

• As mentioned previously, the best thing for the Germans to do is capture and stack Baltic heavy. This can mean putting 4 inf in Poland for the Special Cash Advance and even using the transport to load two more in, if the Russians put a lot of inf in Lenin and you don’t want to attack it. If you concentrate on East Poland instead, Tank Push seems to fall apart. I think this is because the Russians have time to attack Belo on turn 4/5 with a lot of converted aircraft.

• Buying strategy for Americans is generally sound, although I would rework the order. Instead of buying 1 fighter and bomber per turn, just buy 2 or 3 fighters the first turn. Then buy bombers. The reason is any fighters bought on turn 2 won’t make Moscow by Germany’s turn 5 attack. (Delay one round if the Germans are doing a 6 turn attack.) Again, this is assuming Germans are stacking Baltic States, which is what they should be doing.

• The buy with UK is tricky. I would generally suggest at least one fighter, and probably one more aircraft. Consider saving some money for a fleet. The turn 1 with Western Allies is generally pretty tricky, need some more experimentation and tinkering to see what works best, and of course it changes depending on how Germans attacked and their luck.

-Now, for the actual Rumanian Wedge itself. It sort of kinda works. You have to be careful how many units you send. (I generally don’t attack the Russians if they are doing the Wedge. Again, I just focus up.) But the tricky part is if you send too many Russians, then there won’t be enough to defend Moscow. If Germans are doing a 5 turn version, you need everything within range of Moscow by end of turn 3. Delay one round for 6 turn version. The aim is to capture enough of the Balkans so that the Russians have enough money for a few more infantry per turn before the Moscow Battle. It is actually crazy how just two infantry can influence the battle. It can go from something like 67% to 48%.

I have to experiment with the Germans attacking the Wedge a bit more. I don’t know if it is beneficial or not. Will post more once I know. In general, I’ve found that Russians don’t have enough time to convert much allied aircraft.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m